Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellowriders,

I don't go on long rides or fast, but sometimes, i do need my 5th gear when roads clear enough.

A few times, my 5th gear slipped. At first, i almost panicked, but second and third time, i got cautious.

Any idea, why the slipping?

Also, my shift seems very sensitive. I gently touch my gear and and shifts. Should it be that nimble? i prefer a little firm shifting rather then loose.

Whats your thought?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The 'gear' most likely isn't slipping....your clutch is slipping. check your shop manual on how to do a proper adjustment.....or it may need to be replaced

·
Registered
332 Posts
I suggest you check the adjustment of your clutch cable first. Slipping is a sign of your clutch going bad, but those quick shifts with minimal force lead me to think your clutch isn't fully disengaging.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sounds like good advice. I would also like to recommend while you're in the area to check that your shift lever is ratcheting properly. There are three springs that hold things in place: two torsion and one tension. The shift lever should go fully up and fully return to center and go fully down and fully return to center. This is accomplished with FIRM shifts and fully releasing no matter what the lever feels like.

Also, you mention that it slips easily into 5th gear and it seems like you don't use it often. Is it possible you are partially ratcheting the lever when you're driving around in 4th gear? If so, you may want to consider moving your foot out of the way when not shifting or raising the lever slightly to give your toe more room.

I'm going on the assumption here that your "slipping" problem is due to improper gear engagement. It's unclear to me what type of slipping you are experiencing.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Make sure your NOT using car motor oil ? Any oil you use that has the
(energy conserving ) label in the circle on the back of the bottle should not be used. Or clutch slipping can result. Mine slipped in 5th slightly.

Changed oil to Rotella 5w 40 T6 and problem solved.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Get your clutch adjusted and for the heck of it put the proper weight motorcycle oil in there. I mean any motorcycle oil go to Walmart and get standard 20/50 or 10/40 Valvoline MC oil for $4 a quart.

I ONLY say that just in case someone or you put some funky oil in there, since you give no history no way to know.
AGAIN, FOR SURE, its not the oil but clutch adjustment or worn clutch but cant harm if it was just an adjustment and you havent changed the oil yet to put some MC oil in it.
I dont care the brand, I only brought up Valvoline because I like it for its almost "grabby" feel with the clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts