Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed the oil and filter at 600 miles on my 09 V Star 950 Tourer. The service manual also requires loosening a bolt at the top of each cylinder to verify oil is making it's way to the (I presume) cam shaft. This poses two questions:

1. Why is this necessary?, and:
2. Why do these engines only have oil LEVEL switches and not oil PRESSURE switches? I don't understand this thinking.

Would appreciate anybody's input on this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
answer to first may be to bleed or purge the oil lines second the oil level switch will not let the motor run when the oil level is too low. hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re first oil change, don't know the answer to the above, but wondering if I need to drive 40 minutes to nearest Yamaha dealer for first oil change/service etc, or if my local (ex Honda dealership) mechanic can handle this and other work. I also need to check if the guarantee would be invalidated.

Also, does anyone have opinions on whether it's a good idea to drive the bike hard for the first 60 miles and then change the oil? Or go Yamaha's own advice on running in/

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re first oil change, don't know the answer to the above, but wondering if I need to drive 40 minutes to nearest Yamaha dealer for first oil change/service etc, or if my local (ex Honda dealership) mechanic can handle this and other work. I also need to check if the guarantee would be invalidated.

Also, does anyone have opinions on whether it's a good idea to drive the bike hard for the first 60 miles and then change the oil? Or go Yamaha's own advice on running in/
hi, i drove mine hard before the 600 mile oil change dont ever let it lug but spin the motor freely just keep upping the speed for a few seconds at a time then back off if you keep it under 50mph and or let it lug the rings and bores tend to glaze and you wont get such a good ring seal. use the gear change alot dont just keep it in one gear when new i heat cycled the engine for 4 days on cheapo oil changed the filter then put the thin running in oil for 600miles changed filter and put cheap 20-50 oil in. at 1000miles i changed filter and put fully synthetic 20-50 oil in, it will read 105mph and its running as smooth as butter with more to come as it loosens abit more over the next 1000miles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I took mine 950 Tourer to the dealer for the first service. Accoring to the dealer manual, they tighten, retorque just about every nut and bolt on the bike. They would not say yes or no to the warranty issue, but I had them do it just in case. My dealer is close, but I still didnt like the price for the oil and filter change with the first service, $200.00 approx. The rest of the oil services will be done in my garage. Anyone wanting to join me for an oil changing party, let me know, I'll throw more burger on the grill!!
Hope this helps at least a little,

·
Registered
40 Posts
first service

hi the first service at 600mls was free? but i had to pay for filter and oil ,no retorque till6000mls.they just run their eye over it for obvious things like leaks basically a rip off to get a stamp in your service manual. my dealer is 200mls away. ive been riding maintaining and even rebuilding engines for 50 years and if you cant do an oil and filter change. learn dont pay for anything you can do yourself. get a manual!their dead easy to follow.even for some one with limited knowledge and your mates will help with any thing youre having trouble with.all engines are so similar it doesnt matter if your friends ride cruisers race reps or dirt bikes their be willing to share their knowledge .if you havent got tools buy the best you can afford and add to them when money permits they wont break and will last a life time.LOOK AFTER THEM. DONT GIVE THE DEALERS YOUR MONEY. treat everyone on the roads like they want to kill you and you,l still be riding at 90yrs old. take care john.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The warranty is only for 12 months...Half of that is out of riding season.(Living in New England) I did my own 600 mile service myself and saved about $155 over the dealers cost. Also put my cobra dragsters, and FI2000 at the same time. Just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Those guys get paid by the job and not usually by the hour if they have any experience under their belt. So, I really don't think they re-tighten every bolt and screw. Just the ones that can cause a accident like wheels, handle-bar etc.

Do it yourself, don't be cheap, use quality parts and save your receipts. Another recommendation is to keep a log/journal on any maintenance you do to the bike, like an excel spreadsheet with all required maintenance on it so you can check it off as completed . I would date it, have the mileage when the work was done the type of maintenance you performed and any additional notes of work done.

Staple your receipt to the spreadsheet and file it away.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just calledto make an appointment on my new 950 vstar and they told me 150 plus oil and filter wow i could change it ten times for that lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts