Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the 600 mile service Stratoliner s 2014 I am so amazed by Yamaha !
My last few bikes have been 2012 900 Kawasaki Vulcan,
2008 Goldwing, 2008 Vtx1800, This new bike has fantastic balance, Incredible breaking and a lower center of gravity that puts all the others to absolute shame besides the detail and finish.
Look forward to joining this great supportive forum and the family of Yamaha owners

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just had my 600 mile service done a week ago. Only 400 more miles till the break in period is over and I can see what she is capable of but I already know she cant corner very well without scraping. But hey it is a cruiser... 2014 950T.

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
why wait? really, the break-in period should only be in the first 20 miles or so of a brand new production bike. during this period, it is suggested that you 'take er easy'. in order to get your piston rings get set properly, you should be constantly revving up your RPMs through each gear and not cruise at a solid pace at any speed for too long. and of course the 600 mile service is to do a full inspection, check for any defaults, etc., but most importantly to replace the oil for all the initial deposits and metal shavings that end up in there during the bike's early life. there is really no need to take it easy after this point. so let her rip!

·
Registered
76 Posts
why wait? really, the break-in period should only be in the first 20 miles or so of a brand new production bike. during this period, it is suggested that you 'take er easy'. in order to get your piston rings get set properly, you should be constantly revving up your RPMs through each gear and not cruise at a solid pace at any speed for too long. and of course the 600 mile service is to do a full inspection, check for any defaults, etc., but most importantly to replace the oil for all the initial deposits and metal shavings that end up in there during the bike's early life. there is really no need to take it easy after this point. so let her rip!
I heard so many different opinions on how to break in a new bike that I followed what the manual said in addition to my old school way which matches what you said. Manual says no more than 1/3 throttle for first 600 miles, then no more than 1/2 for the next 400. Not sure I followed it to the letter all the time but I at least tried. Shes over 1000 miles now so now, its on ! :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
You can never go wrong by reading and following the owner's manual. After all, who knows the bike better than the company that built it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts