• Don't bother

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through many of the threads about removing the CIS. I still have not been able to figure out if there is an advantage to do so with oem pipes. I do get deceleration backfire, but I have not yet had a chance to check the sync of the carbs. I have only had the bike since Dec., and put a couple hours on it before it got too cold to ride.

What do you think?

larry

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got a 2005 650 last year. It is completely stock as well. Rode it all summer and get the odd little deceleration backfire. Doesn't really bother me. I looked into removing it online and don't really see any great advantage to it, other than cleaning up the look.

If/when the stock pipes wear out and I have to replace them, I figure I can get a good low mileage used set from someone that just had to make their bike louder.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Are you talking about the AIS? If so read the following. If CIS is something I have never heard of, please ignore :)

If your bike is an '06 or newer (CA '05) and you remove the AIS while the factory pipes are on there is a chance of fire hazard... following copied/pasted from sloanservices.com

Catalytic converters are designed to clean up exhaust emissions by burning off any residual unburned hydrocarbons. In the process they become extremely hot. If there is a large amount of unburned fuel passing into the Cats, they will get hot enough to potentially cause anything flammable near them to catch fire. The AIS system allows oxygen rich air into the exhaust system at the outlet port in the cylinder head. This oxygen will support combustion of any unburnt gasses and consume the hydrocarbons before they make it to the Cats, thus helping to keep the temperature in the Cats down. Disabling the AIS and keeping the Cats is high risk for a fire.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks M'Lady, that gives me even more reason to leave everything alone.

Plus, my bike does what I ask it to do, so I see no reason to modify the heck out of it, which usually results in a less reliable bike. At least from my experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts