Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've started saving up for a 650 classic vstar, but I am curious. I like the fat'n'low with full fenders look but with the discontinuation of the 650 classic I was wondering why star stopped the model. Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

·
Registered
155 Posts
So, I've started saving up for a 650 classic vstar, but I am curious. I like the fat'n'low with full fenders look but with the discontinuation of the 650 classic I was wondering why star stopped the model. Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?
What do you mean discontinuation of the 650 classic? Here's the 2015:

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4483&group=MC&catId=2

Did I miss some kind of announcement that there won't be a 2016 or something?

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The classic model hasn't been offered in the states for a while now. I'm actually jealous that canada still offers it.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
The vstar 650 classic has had a great run since 1998. So with this many years under it's belt with nearly no big changes throughout the
model years it was becoming dated. With so many used bikes on the market most likely the new bike sales suffered and they pulled the plug on another new model year in the USA. If you noticed they added other models to the line up that were not around when the 650 classic
came out way back when.

I have to say the newer 950 is what the 650 always wanted to be.
fuel injected and a little more punch with some added pony's plus
not quite as smallish a stature.

So actually the Vstar 650 lives on in what's now the 950.

It all comes down to corporate numbers in terms of sales dollars.
Look for the Bolt to maybe live one or two years.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Yup, I'm sure it comes down to the almighty dollar. I would have no hesitations buying a used 650. Tons of them everywhere, for a good price, and a lot of years running production, with a lot of aftermarket support.

I only sold mine cause financially it made sense to buy a 950 that was decked out, than spending the coin on accessories. Plus 300 more CC. Otherwise it was a great scoot.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I must agree, Many fine examples used out there for little coin.
And they are rock solid bikes for many miles when taken care of.

I had a chance before I purchased my 2000 650 classic to pick up an 03 that had been laid down. Same bike in black. Needed headlight bucket, front turn signals, new front tire, Left engine guard, Foot peg assembly. Ran fine, Asking $850. The guy sold it 2 hours before
I could go see it.

I paid $1800 for mine and it needed carb work , gas tank redo, And a complete cleaning top to bottom. Pluses were, New tires, low miles,
No damage, Pristine paint, Decent chrome, all stock, Except for cobra pipes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts