Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the bar to come up and back a bit (closer to me). I'm a huge fan of Rox risers (dirtbikes) so ordered a 4" set for my new 650 cruiser. Well ... they showed up and it took all of 30 seconds to realize that the stock cables are too short to accommodate them. They mount where the existing bar is and then raises 4" from that point, too long.

Returned them and ordered a 4" set from Amazon. They showed up today and I have a concern. Bottom of the risers are flat metal. Looks like there is a rubber seal that fits around the stock setup, not sure how I can mount these risers to the bike, anyone run into something similar and have a solution? I was thinking a couple of large washers and a home made rubber seal to protect from scratches.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,500 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that thread, he has an 1100 and I thought maybe his cable lengths would be different then mine or maybe something else was different.

·
2,518 Posts
It was close, but they fit. I did have to reroute some cables and make a slight adjustment to my brake hose (turned the fitting to take out some tension) but other than that they bolted right in. I think I just removed the cables from the metal holder and moved them to the other side of the triple tree (front or back - can't recall). That gave me enough slack. I did have to go buy some bolts as the originals had a stud attached and these just had a threaded hole. Pretty sure I picked up some large washers too. Sorry I can't be more specific on the details. It's been a while, I'm getting old, and my memory isn't that great anymore lol.

·
5,500 Posts

·
5,500 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the thread links Les, the takeaway Coles notes are below.

I had to reroute the clutch cable and throttle cables (which involved hacksawing a cable guide). I also removed the gas tank to free up a little slack on both right and left sets of electrical cables. Not sure if that was entirely necessary, but one thread mentioned it. I also left the bars attached when I loosed the bottom bolts of the risers (19mm), so I could use the bars to pry the risers out of the trees a bit. Then with the risers still in, I removed the bars.
if you add rubber spacer where they rest againt steering tree it damps vibration

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi, Guys,

My wife ordered these for me for Fathers Day - drat I have to wait - but I chose these as they are 3.5" with a 1.625 extra rise and 1.5" to the rear - and based on NorthernRiders report that the 4" fit with a bit of fiddling figured these might be better.

Plus buying from Walmart - they can be returned and they're the same thing as on eBay and only $35.00 including shipping - go figure - Walmart as my main motorcycle part supplier.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krator-Custom-Chrome-Motorcycle-1-Handlebar-3-5-Risers-For-Yamaha-Road-Star-Silverado-XV-Midnight/174934815

JUst finished looking at the Ultimate Seat for the 650 classic - it lowers the rider 1" and 1" forward - actually accomplishes two things - better seat and does away with the need for handlebar risers - hhhmm - only drawback is the $285.00.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts