Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've recently upgraded from my 650 Silverado to a 1300 Tourer. I kept the 650 for my wife to use as she's interested in learning to ride. The trouble is, this 650 is a real beater that I got for dirt cheap. The previous owner let it sit for years with no use. I had to fix multiple oil leaks the first year I had it. Mechanically it runs fine but it could use a lot of cosmetic work. There are a few paint chips on the tank, the saddlebags are coming apart at the seams, and the baffles were drilled out so it sounds like a lawnmower at certain RPMs. I'm thinking of stripping off the old "leather" accessories, cleaning it up and making into a Boulevard Cruiser for her. Any suggestions on the exhaust pipes?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Vstar 650 is a nice riding bike straight out of the crate.

Put the stock exhaust back on, ditch the windshield and saddle bags, lose the passenger seat, and I think you will be surprised yourself how much those things (esp the windshield) were sucking the life out of the bike.

If she will mostly be riding solo, with you on your 1300, she doesnt need the saddlebags

but the windshield esp, when you are below 65mph you get a very pleasant breeze across the bike without it - stay on secondary roads, ride thru the country and villages - its pure joy.
A naked solo motorbike is a beautiful thing.

as far as paint chips, I cant see my MC when Im riding it, so as long as bare metal is not exposed and rusting, what do I care what other people see as I ride past them?!

BTW, my Royal Star is the Boulevard model. The saddle bags and windshield stay in the garage unless I plan on riding on the interstate highway, or need to carry something in the bags.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vstar 650 is a nice riding bike straight out of the crate.

Put the stock exhaust back on, ditch the windshield and saddle bags, lose the passenger seat, and I think you will be surprised yourself how much those things (esp the windshield) were sucking the life out of the bike.

If she will mostly be riding solo, with you on your 1300, she doesnt need the saddlebags

but the windshield esp, when you are below 65mph you get a very pleasant breeze across the bike without it - stay on secondary roads, ride thru the country and villages - its pure joy.
A naked solo motorbike is a beautiful thing.

as far as paint chips, I cant see my MC when Im riding it, so as long as bare metal is not exposed and rusting, what do I care what other people see as I ride past them?!

BTW, my Royal Star is the Boulevard model. The saddle bags and windshield stay in the garage unless I plan on riding on the interstate highway, or need to carry something in the bags.
Yes I avoided taking the 650 on the highway whenever I could, It just isn't built for that. I really enjoyed the country roads with it.

The exhaust it has on it right now is the stock exhaust. The previous owner drilled holes in the baffles so its got a nice deep rumble at idle, but once you start getting into your usable RPM range it doesn't sound all that great. You're saying I should just get a new stock exhaust?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
or replace the baffles

or if its possible could you put sheet metal screws in the holes to plug them back up?

its pretty easy to find stock exhaust for these bikes, people replace them with aftermarket and have no use for the original ones

like these: https://rochester.craigslist.org/mpo/d/rochester-yamaha-vstar-650-items/6901228966.html

I guess you should ask the future rider what she wants. Dont see too many women riding with straight pipes on their bikes...

does the bike have the original air filter and intake? If the PO only drilled out the baffles he probably did not mess with the jets in the carbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or replace the baffles

or if its possible could you put sheet metal screws in the holes to plug them back up?

its pretty easy to find stock exhaust for these bikes, people replace them with aftermarket and have no use for the original ones

I guess you should ask the future rider what she wants. Dont see too many women riding with straight pipes on their bikes...

does the bike have the original air filter and intake? If the PO only drilled out the baffles he probably did not mess with the jets in the carbs.
Yes, original intake, so probably nothing special done to the carburetors. I doubt I could plug the rusty baffles up, years of neglect prevents that option.

I suggested selling and getting her a newer bike and apparently that was the wrong answer... :surprise: No Rebel 300 for her I guess.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,032 Posts
Goggle: motorcycle exhaust lollipops. Cheap to do and will normally quiet it down a lot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll take a closer look at the baffles tonight. I don't think those Exhaust "Lollipops" are a viable solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts