Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY sister took her 650 out of storage after a couple of years. It started up fine but dies instantly on throttle or shifting to 1st. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,883 Posts
I had a similar situation a few years ago. The carbs were so gummed up when load was put on it died. It would idle fine but would die if given any throttle . I had to clean carbs, tank, petcock and replace fuel filter. You might want to start at fuel filter as its cheap and easy. I diagnosed the issue but pulling the fuel line behind the fuel filter and there was only a dripping of fuel.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I 2nd that. If there was fuel in the system, after years of sitting it probably needs an overhaul on the fuel system. I wouldn't of even started it up w/o a flush and cleaning. The tank itself might have up to an inch of sludge sitting on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
todays ethanol fuel only compounds this issue

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Third and fourth the motion. Here yee here yee all in favor of full tank and fuel system cleaning say (I) (I) The eye's have it.....

This means pull both carb bowls and clean pilot jets and main jets as well as holders, Do not forget the pilots have side holes. Very small

I have heard the bread tie wire cleaning method works well.
Compressed air on the mains or carb cleaner in a spray can.

Replace gas, check the tank for sludge.

I had to do all this on mine when purchased. Lots of fun....

But worth it .... :D:);)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried taking the bowls off. Got two screws on one off, but the other two not so much. I did't want to strip them. My sister decided then to just take it to the dealer and have them do a checkup on it.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Home work is required. Not brute strength. You need to soak the screws in PB blaster or similar solvent. You also need to use the correct type screw driver ( in this case JIS) The yamaha vstar tool kit
has one. You need to tap on the end of the screw head with the screw driver engaged whilst trying to turn it. A wrench or small 1/4 drive socket handle is more than enough to seat the jis driver in place.

Most times this method will remove the screws. There are allen head socket type screws that can be purchased as replacements.

This is not that hard to do. Dealer charge will be several hundred at least.

Good luck with the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts