Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought it about two months ago now, It is a 1999 model with just under 4k miles on it, with a few teething problems.
the tyres had just celebrated their 20th birthday,
the rear shock was on 1st position , and I'm 6'5" and 220lbs with out me gear on.
had a short [ pointless for me ] screen,
handle bars were down low on the tank, tiller style ughh ! ( no good for my height)
front brake was /is feeble and variable. ( but its getting there now)
all that with a 165 mile ride home from buying it, after a 7 year break from bikes lol ( probably should have had it delivered as it decided to rain that day as well ! but I did it:smile:)

its the custom model, but trying to set it up as a cruiser ( luggage, screen etc ) its getting there slowly now, but costing much more than I imagined, lol .
but I just love riding it, use it to commute on , cant get enough of it especially now its starting to show some progress towards handling / stopping and being practical.
will try to do a couple of pics soon

·
2,349 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Eastern Canada and congrats on your new ride. The 650 is an excellent bike. 165 miles on 20 year old tires in the rain - you're a brave man! lol Glad you made it home safe and that you're having fun with it. Looking forward to the pics.

·
2,349 Posts
Just a tip for the front brakes - change the fluid, if you haven't already, and pads are cheap - rotors are not.

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
Welcome to the forum Uk, I'm also glad you got home safely. Sounds like you're having fun as you work on your new to you bike. Looking forward to seeing the pics of it. Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks , probably more nervous / excited, which clouded my judgement rather than brave re the tyres etc lol , most of the issues didn't really occur to me till afterwards ,
Looking back twasn't the best decision I've ever made , lol
Thanks for the tips, have already done the fluid , pads and a new braided brake line , but still not fully happy with the front brake yet.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Welcome! I'm glad you survived the wet ride on old rubber... that's scary stuff. Concerning your front brake, did you ensure that the adjustment bolt on the lever is screwed in all the way? When I bought mine the lever had so much free play that the lever would touch the grip yet still not be able to lock the front wheel. With a screwdriver, 8mm wrench and 20 seconds worth of time the issue was resolved... with the bolt screwed all the way in mine actually just barely kisses the mastercylinder's piston now and the lever doesn't even come close to bottoming out on the grip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yah thanks diogenes , I've already been there with that and still it's not working well at the mo .
Think it's something to do with the master cylinder , have put n/ seals etc in , but need a bit of dry time to check it all out again ,

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haven't had chance to ride the bike again yet , but think I've sorted the brake issue, dismantled the master cylinder and found that the outer seal was facing the wrong way ( had better info this time ) ,and it seems to be working a lot better now as far as I can tell.
Fancy them having to be in
the right way round to work properly , lol. Lol

·
2,349 Posts
Funny how things work better like that huh? Glad you found the problem.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,016 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. I can relate to not always making the best decision as to when to ride or not. Ride often and safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts