Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I read on another thread about drilling out the mufflers on the new 950's and someone mentioned you could do the same to a 650. I looked to do this to my wifes bike but the outlet hole is way smaller than the 950. Has anyone modified their 650? What did you do?? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Eddie Eggs,
I drilled out my wife's 650, made it a little better; but not like it should sound. Put on Vance & Hines Cruzer Exhaust System with K&N and Vance jet kit. What a difference; wife said it didn't need it, but after hearing it she is thrilled. Also, added 8 HP and 12 flbs; runs a lot better. She can almost stay up with my 09 max :)
Ride Safe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I will probably do something similar over the winter. You saved me the time of drilling! Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No problem, the Vance & Hines Cruzer sounds really nice, not loud like a harley, but same tone. It sounds like a bigger bike and the torque is outstanding for a 650. We live at 6,000 feet above sea level and lose 5.5% for every 1,000 feet. Need as much as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
With my "racer's" discount of 20%, $320 for the pipes, $69 for jet kit, $52 for the K&N. My tuner/mechanic of 20 years put them on and dialed it in on the dyno for $360: for a total of $801. Just checked the mpg, with me riding it; (I like to float the valves every once in a while) I still got 49.5 MPG. That's the same mpg that I got while breaking it in running 100 miles out and back on the highway. Any way, got off subject; the 800 bucks was worth every penny. It is a totally different bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
650 Exhaust

I originally put cobra pipes on my 2008 650 Classic and liked the sound and the look. I took the baffles out and it made them too loud. Then I decided I wanted a set of Roadhouse longshots. I like them better although the Cobras are nice. I still have the Cobra's and could probably be tempted to sell them at a very reasonable price.

Prior to all that, I drilled out the stock pipes but wasn't pleased with the sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have drilled pipes on mine and like the way it sounds but everyone says after market pipes are the way to go .If someone had a set at a good price I could'nt turn down, I might be interested.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I "drilled" the pipes on my 650 only I didn't do the so called "telmo" mod where you drill three holes in the cone.

Instead, I took a 1/2" drill bit,(largest I had, 7/8" works better) and drilled straight into the final pipe. The leading edge of the drill cut into the side or bottom of the pipe and opened a sort of elongated hole.

The sound is much, much better than the three hole mod in the cone....more mellow and just enough volume for me with a lower tone than the three hole mod.

I may, when I get rich, buy a set of V&H Cruzers one day but will hang on to the stock system just in case my ears get tired of the extra volume.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure I follow you, did you drill into the center of the pipe with a really long drill or drill 1 hole next to the exhaust opening ? Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes...drill into the pipe, holding the drill straight and level. Since the final pipe goes up at an angle, you effectively drill into the bottom of the pipe.

Look at this page to see a diagram of the muffler:

http://650ccnd.com/slash.htm

This is where a 7/8" drill bit would work better as you could start slowly, drilling straight in and opening a "hole" in the bottom side of the pipe. In fact, it will be more of an elongated hole, so to speak.
The 7/8" drill fits the inside more closely I think where as the 1/2" drill bit doesn't. And because of that, I pried up on the drill to force the smaller bit to cut into the pipe and wound up cutting away some of the top pipe where it exits the cone. No big deal since some high temp paint masked that pretty well.

I didn't go out and buy a 7/8" drill bit that would fit my 1/2" drill as I figured I would never use it again plus cost.

I'm pleased with the result as the bike doesn't have that "tinny" sound that comes with the 3 hole mod.....at least that's my opinion!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK I see now, that probably looks a lot cleaner than the 3 hole method. Thanks for taking the time to clarify that for me! Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
my v-star 650 goes wild every gear shifts,have anyone experienced this kind of problems,
please help if you can, i dont want to spend too much money for a mechanic if i can solve it myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
650 Exhaust

I originally put cobra pipes on my 2008 650 Classic and liked the sound and the look. I took the baffles out and it made them too loud. Then I decided I wanted a set of Roadhouse longshots. I like them better although the Cobras are nice. I still have the Cobra's and could probably be tempted to sell them at a very reasonable price.

Prior to all that, I drilled out the stock pipes but wasn't pleased with the sound.
650 Exhaust

Hi do you still have the cobras?
516:250-0028

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
645 Posts
Dude, 2 things: 1st, Private Message the person. NEVER post phone/address/e-mailed on an open board!

2nd: look at the date of a topic/post BEFORE you reply to it. This topic's last post before you was February 2, 2013 !! 8 years ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts