Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 vstar 650 I'm tryin to get a new exhaust and I'm wonderin which one I should get I want loud and more horsepower CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT?!? And once I get it do I have to rejet my bike? Plz help me out thanx

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
exhaust

From what I read you will not need to re-jet if all you change is the exhaust. I don't think you will gain a lot of horsepower from just the exhaust. I hear reports of gain in HP if you replace air intake and exhaust, plus re-jet.

Try going to youtube.com, type in V star 650 and search. There will be several video's with sound with several exhausts. Keep in mind the record level is automatic on most recorders so volume is hard to judge. Sound quality is also poor.

Dave

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Exhaust

Just a word, take it or leave it. If you change exhaust to something like straight pipes for the noise without rejeting you are going to run super hot, you seen the blue pipes? Be careful, if you care.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank u both for ur inputs and sugar bear how would I wanna rejet bigger or smaller? And I am gettin a Better air intake also I'm new to the whole redoin pipes and air intakes so if u guys got any tips I would appicate it alot and sugar bear where u from in IN I'm on the border of IL and IN

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Thank u both for ur inputs and sugar bear how would I wanna rejet bigger or smaller? And I am gettin a Better air intake also I'm new to the whole redoin pipes and air intakes so if u guys got any tips I would appicate it alot and sugar bear where u from in IN I'm on the border of IL and IN
I am no expert by any stretch, I can turn a wrench and keep my stuff goin. I am saying what the boys in the shop have told me, and what I have seen. They tell me bigger jets the more open you go, what size? depends they say.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
jets

If you increase air flow with an exhaust and/or air filter change then the bike may run lean. So more fuel would be needed. Larger jets. Some have periodicly checked plugs for sign of running rich or lean. White plugs to lean, carbon to rich. I have heard several people say that with only muffle they did not rejet. No guarantee on that.
The big air kit comes with instructions and jets. Search the Internet you will see several. Here is one.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4709403_rejet-yamaha-star.html

Dave

·
Registered
410 Posts
For rejetting I would suggest going to Maxair instead of Dynojet. Maxair runs just a little bit leaner which means you retain most of your gas mileage. Dynojet makes the engine run very rich (ie. poor gas mileage). For what it is worth. I have had both kits on my 1100 and prefer the Maxair kit. I would also suggest removing or at least blocking off the AIS system. I could also cause the pipes to turn blue.
Hope this helps
Doug

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm running the maxair with Roadburner Street Pro pipes with the AIS, haven't had any problems at all, also I running a Hypercharger...when I had it disabled I had more problems with it popping on decel: so then I enabled it again and haven't heard a pop yet!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the Final vertict is Maxair for my air intake and Vance and Hines exhaust and I just have to rejet and I'll be good? Well thank u all for everything and ur inputs

·
Registered
166 Posts
With the Maxair kit you should be fine, Install the exhaust and intake that you'll be using and rejet with the Maxair kit....should do the trick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone kno if I can use a newer set if pipes for an older bike i.e. A set of 04 Vance an Hines pipes for a 98?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I have choice my pipes, air intake, and new jets now my only question is wat should I set my jet size too? I'm usin Vance and Hines cruiser exhaust and maxair air intake and jets so plz some send me something helpful thanx

·
Registered
2 Posts
dito to the ccnd site.
Open up your exhaust.
GAK your intake.
Jet your carbs.

You will pick up a bout 7hp or 20% gain in power and better gas milage.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good to hear that! You got a killer deal on those pipes, glad you could use them....I was tired of moving them around my garage

1 - 19 of 19 Posts