Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question about brake wear. On my 2014 950T the front looks good, but the back are toast. Took it to the shop and he said to replace the rotor, pads and rebuild the caliper will run $450. He'll use OEM parts. The bike has about 17,000 miles and I normally don't brake aggressive (have to occasionally though). I thought I had been using the front and back roughly 50\50. One of the guys I work with has a 06 1100 and had the same work done earlier in the summer and his was close to $850.
So my question is do the backs usually wear that much quicker than the front?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,354 Posts
Brake wear is dependent on how one brakes and brake pad compound. How you are braking only you know. OEM pads are an organic compound. They are a tad soft and wear pretty quick. I use a sintered pad which have small metal shavings in them to wear longer. I like the sintered pads and never had an issue. I always changed pads all the way around with every tire change. With my Michelin Commanders on the 1100 I would get 22- 24 thousand miles out of them. The sintered pads would be about 75% gone. I always figured that the calipers off to change tires so it was easy to change them then. As far as pricing, OEM rotor are $130 online, OEM pads are around $45, Caliper kit about $40. Fluid, brake cleaner, etc, you will have $250 in parts. If they charge you two hours labor at $100 an hour the $450 is in line. Yes it seems high. I'm lucky being able to put new pads on both front calipers and rear for $100 using sintered pads which last longer. I've never had to change the rotors as they still measure within spec. This was with 65k on my 1100.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
many riders load up the rear brake because they are afraid of locking the front brake and dropping the bike

some riders dont use the front brake at all

another variable is whether you come up to a red light at 50mph, pull the clutch in to stop and kick the gears down without ever letting the clutch out

if you compression brake and let the bike slow down in 4th or 3rd gear as you come to a stop, you will only need to touch the brakes to burn off the last 20mph of speed. It takes twice as much energy (brake wear and heat) to slow from 40 to 20 as it does to slow from 20 to 0

and if you commute red light to red light for miles you are spending as much money on brakes as you are on fuel

short answer: stopping quickly without compression braking the engine eats your brake pads and rotors

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I should add, if you are in 5th gear and have a stop coming up, you do not need to shift down thru every gear.

you can ride 5th gear down to 40mph with the throttle rolled off, shift down to 4th gear and let that compression brake all the way down to 25 to 20 - then pull in the clutch and use the brakes to stop

you will not wear out the clutch if you burp the throttle when you downshift from 5th to 4th.

·
Administrator
13,272 Posts
Have a question about brake wear. On my 2014 950T the front looks good, but the back are toast. Took it to the shop and he said to replace the rotor, pads and rebuild the caliper will run $450. He'll use OEM parts. The bike has about 17,000 miles and I normally don't brake aggressive (have to occasionally though). I thought I had been using the front and back roughly 50\50. One of the guys I work with has a 06 1100 and had the same work done earlier in the summer and his was close to $850.
So my question is do the backs usually wear that much quicker than the front?
pretty much everything the first guys said.
i have an '09 950 and had to have my rear rotor replaced after my first brake pad change for similar reasons. the pads wore out much quicker than i expected and i ended up scraping up the rotor. haven't had any issues since switching to EBC HH-sintered pads.
as for braking 50/50 i think the MSF course teaches it should be either 60/40 or 70/30 favored towards the front. if you give too much rear brake you run the risk of fishtailing.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just changed the rear pads on my 950.

I was getting a squeaking sound every time I hit them. Drove me nuts.
Since I was going to have everything apart and new pads were only $35.00 ( semi sintered) I just put new ones on.
Got everything greased up good and no more squeaks.

I do like KCW. I down shift and hit the brakes in the last 30 - 40 ft.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always get a service manual with every bike I buy. Or truck-car. Learned to repair as much as I can. A got a HD and didn't go to HD for inspections. Now I realize that one time leaking oil, I fixed easy myself, second time no start, replaced key switch and afterward tested switch and found nothing wrong? I am tech experience. Third time noise motor, took to shop, NOT HD co. and got taken to cleaners.. Bought a Yamaha and when I need anyone to repair it, going to dealer. Learn how to service the bike best you can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts