Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I traded in my tired old Virago XV535 about 9 months ago for a 2010 model XVS950A Midnight Star (aka VStar?), and love it! It's so nice to have a bike which is so smooth and just goes, rather than breaks down a lot and rides like a bucking bronco, which the old Virago tended to do, although I liked that as well. The 950 feels so much bigger, the handlebars are wider, it's heavier, surprisingly it's quieter too (I think the silencer on the old 535 had worn through years ago and was effectively a straight-through pipe!). It's faster and easier to ride though, the only bug I've had with the new one is it often drops into neutral from 1st when trying to go for 2nd gear, but now I've got used to it and am ready to give it several kicks until it gets in gear and then it's fine. Hopefully it'll bed in and not be like this for ever! It's a minor fault though, overall the 950 is just a great bike and I'm glad I switched. Already I've done more miles on this one than I did in several years on the old 535, mainly because I'm not worried I'll have to walk home all the time! :)
Pity the weather's been so wet lately, looking forward to some dry weather come spring and to get out on the road with it again...
Gary.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Welcome to the Stars:)

What part of the UK are you from? Had some military flight time in the Yeovilton area and some great friends from Faversham, Kent.

Enjoy your new ride, and do try to stay on the correct side of the road?:D:D:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Springer, thanks. I'm in Yorkshire, a couple of hundred miles up from Kent, but been there on holiday a few years ago - very nice area!

I drive American cars too, left hand and right hand drive, people know to get out of the way if I'm on the wrong side :eek:. The bike's got the handlebars on the right side though, so I'm ok on that ;).

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
The bike's got the handlebars on the right side though, so I'm ok on that ;).
:eek:

You have handlebars?:confused: Is that an aftermarket option?

I'm confused. I was just considering purchase of some leather covering for the steering wheel on my Strat:eek:

No wonder I never understood the whole "counter-steering" thing...:mad:

:)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hi! Welcome. Nice bike you have.
Say Hi to The Beatles for me.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Bevo! Yes, over here we call it "June" :D
(actually, no, it doesn't last that long!)

Springer, that would be cool, I wonder if anyone's really fitted a steering wheel to a bike? I suppose attaching the throttle and clutch/brake would be tricky, but it must be possible. No, I don't understand counter-steering either :confused:

Hi Taboo, thanks, will mention you to them next time they drop by! :)

Bonjour Isabelle, et merci aussi :)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
G'Day Midnight, welcome to the forum from a colonial:D You'll find plenty of good people here and lots of good info. Lovely bike you have too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Aussielad, thanks. Wow, these cruisers are all over the world! :)

Isabelle, tout le monde parle Francais, n'est-ce que pas? :D I have some French friends on Facebook and try to keep up with what they're saying. Never actually been to France yet, but may get there one day... will give you a shout if I do and see if you want to come for a ride out with me and my wife. Would love to see Chartres cathedral, and your Midnight Star of course! :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Never actually been to France yet, but may get there one day... will give you a shout if I do and see if you want to come for a ride out with me and my wife. Would love to see Chartres cathedral, and your Midnight Star of course! :)
:) It would be with great pleasure Midnight! My husband will join us :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts