Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I see a lot of individual threads for modifications people have done, but not one with combined list, impressions, etc.

So, why am I looking for that? Well, the wife and I have had our 2014 VStar 950 for a little over a week now. The deal was way too good to pass on and it does fit our needs right now. Someday I hope to add something like a Triumph Thunderbird Storm or Suzuki M109R. Anyway, I like the look and feel of that drag bar type setup much more so than the stock bars on the 950. So that is one thing I would like to look at adding.

So here is kind of my short list of items I would like to do on the bike, at some point:

- Mustang Wide Touring two-piece Vintage seat (have verified it will fit with our Cobra sissy bar/back rest we already have
- Triple Whammy tail/turn signal setup
- Kuryakyn black ISO Grips
- Black LA Choppers xXx Big Air Kit
- (hopefully if I can get verification of fit): Hard Krome Sideburner or Velocity Pro exhaust
- Cobra FI2000 tuner
- New riser/drag bar setup
- Replace footboards with pegs...
- Flyscreen/sport windshield setup
- Lower kit for the rear

That's the short wish list for now. Just can't leave anything stock! :)

So, any of you running any of the above? If so, let's see your pictures and your impressions of the modifications you have done. Would you do it again? What stuff have you found that you want to do?

And close ups or pictures that show the mods well are appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
Hi Eric, following list are my current mods with pics. I'd do it all over again, and plan to add more lighting for the front and undercarriage for night riding.
1: Cobra 4" slip-on muffler. Love the sound.
2: LA Choppers XXX open air filter kit. Big difference after adding it and the Cobra fi2ooor fuel processor.
3: Kuryakyn black/chrome grips.
4: Triple whammy kit.
5: LED bulb license plate frame that ties into the triple whammy kit.
6: Memphis shades batwing fairing, love it!
Again these are the current upgrades, I'll post any additional ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keith,

Thanks for the posts and pictures! Much appreciated! I have to say, I really like that xXx Big Air kit. Think it is one of the best looking out there. So clean and simple. Think that and the FI2000 are tops on the list and then can figure out the exhaust. Plus the ISO Grips...

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
You're very welcome Eric, just glad I could help. The XXX was a cinch to install and it was the proverbial icing on the cake performance wise. My better half still raves about the better performance when we're riding 2up. I have no problems keeping up with some of the bigger dogs, lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice looking bike and mods! I like the short rear fender, LED lights, clean looking back there. That was one thing I really liked about the Suzuki M109R that I was looking at (well, that and the PHAT rear tire!).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a question: has anyone done any rear fender modifications to clean things up a bit back there? I know we have one picture in this thread and that looks very good. Talking stuff like that. Looks like the rear black plastic piece that has the license plate bracket attached to it is held on by screws - so no having to cut it off.

So, anyone removed that piece and done a cleaner license plate mount or maybe removed that and done a side-mount license plate setup? If so, let's see the pictures! Would love to do something like that and jump up to a 200 or so rear tire... :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, definitely need to get it lowered! Especially since new bones are only like $60 or so. Still need a lift for it though!

·
Registered
778 Posts
On a different note, has anyone tested to see if the parts from a 950 bolt will fit on a 950 Star? I can see the tank and the speedo are different but I was thinking of changing the air filter and the coil cover and can pick up the parts from people that have modded theirs for less than $50.00. Just trying to remove the bicycle helmet and, well whatever you want to call it for a slim look.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Eric, following list are my current mods with pics. I'd do it all over again, and plan to add more lighting for the front and undercarriage for night riding.
1: Cobra 4" slip-on muffler. Love the sound.
2: LA Choppers XXX open air filter kit. Big difference after adding it and the Cobra fi2ooor fuel processor.
3: Kuryakyn black/chrome grips.
4: Triple whammy kit.
5: LED bulb license plate frame that ties into the triple whammy kit.
6: Memphis shades batwing fairing, love it!
Again these are the current upgrades, I'll post any additional ones.
What license plate kit did you use. Love the way it looks. Or anyone else have an recommendations. I'll be doing the triple whammy as well and like the plug in compatibility.

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
I found the license plate frame off of eBay. I paid around $30 for it with free shipping. The frame has 32 mini LEDs in it and works great with the triple whammy kit. We wired the frame directly into the factory taillights so it would stay on all the time. Hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts