Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

950 Rear Turn Signal Bulbs

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  lesblank 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to put LED bulbs in my rear turn signals in my 2014 950. According to charts I've looked at the 1156 and the 12496 bulbs are the same. But the pins are off just enough that you can't put them in.
The bulb on the left is the stock 12496 and the one right is a 1156 LED. The pins on the 12496 are at 12 and 5, the pins on the 1156 are at 12 and 6.
Is there a LED 12496 I can get? All the ones I have found have the pins in the wrong spot. I don't really want to change the sockets out.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hope this helps, rear turn bulb is a 7507. The 12496 you are seeing must be a manufacturing number.

LIGHT BULB types -- bulbs used in the V Star 1300

The information below is applicable within USA.
Rear Tail Light: 1157
Front Running Lights/Signals: 1157
Rear Signals: 7507

#4 · (Edited)
Another thought to throw out about changing to LED bulbs is that the design of the bulb is important for your use. I bought some (non-returnable) that had the LEDs shining straight out. The bulb was mounted with it shining to the side so it was dim compared to the incandescent since the filament shines in all directions. Probably looked good for the folks on the side walk :). There are LED bulbs that have a ring of LEDs that go around the perimeter and are a better upgrade.

Edit: Adding a pic of the bulbs I bought and feel ripped off for. They might be good for some configurations but not mine.

#5 ·
Les is correct. I just went through the same thing. I added the run/turn/brake kit and wanted to get the brightness of the LED bulb. All of the 1156 bulbs that I saw in the auto parts stores had the pins 180 degrees from one another. I believe it was Les who set me on the path of getting the 7507 bulbs. I did not find any at my local auto store. I had to order some on line. Kind of expensive $19.00 for the pair but I do like the way they light up the back end of the bike. Good Luck!

#9 ·
Another thing I did for rear visibility was to add a LED strip to the outer edge of rack. Works good and have had many people comment positive that ride behind me. It's a LED strip designed for the rear of a pickup truck cut down to size.

Reactions: Keith Post
#11 ·
Pretty easy. The light itself attach with 3M double sticky tape. Wiring was straight forward. I tapped into wire harness under the seat, soldered connections with shrink wrap. If you look closely you will see some black wire loom I used to cover wires as they exit lights. I hate seeing exposed wires. The set up worked well and has been on for several years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.