Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm having a hell of a time getting the fuel tank off of the 950. I have everything disconnected except the fuel return line that is connected by an orange clamp. Instructions say to open the clip and push the top and bottom tabs to push the connector apart. I don't have huge hands but there isn't any clearance to get the pressure on the tabs like I need. Does anyone have any advice or figured a way around this problem?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just keep at it. I have large hands and it took me awhile, but it finally just popped loose. I don't remember exactly how, but I do remember that once I got it, it seemed simple. One of the duh moments for me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys, sorry to revive an old post but is there a video on how to remove the tank? Brand new to these bikes, put 600 miles before getting water in the tank on fill up. Now the fuel pump is shot and I have to replace it.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,882 Posts
Here's a thread with video.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks a bunch you guys! This helped a lot. I worked on it last night and got it off. There was a heck of alot more rust in there than I had expected. New fuel pump is on the way. Hopefully she'll be back on the road soon!
Here's a thread with video.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What are you using to get the rust out?
For the areas I could reach (not much haha), I used a brass wire brush I had lying around. For those I couldn't reach, and I would recommend this method more than the brush, I used Evapo-Rust. I found it at O'Reilly for $25 a gallon.

Remove the tank, fuel pump assembly, and low fuel sensor, and then pour it in, make sure the gas cap is still installed (it'll likely get clogged up some but you can use WD-40 to clean out the vent in the cap and to clean it off after). Let the product sit for about an hour on different areas of the tank. I did this on 2 different occasions and dropped my phone in there after cleaning it out, the amount of rust left over from what is was is maybe 5-10% purely do to some areas just not getting reached. IMO it was far easier than the tumbling method. Make sure you rinse it a few times with fresh gasoline afterward before reinstalling though to make sure you get all the residue and larger rust particles that don't break down in the chemical bath.
Best Rust Remover | Remove Rust Quickly with Evapo-Rust® here's a link to the product company. It's also reusable so I've de-rusted a few tools I had lying around. Very impressed with the stuff to be honest

·
Registered
17 Posts
Evapo-Rust is a Good product.
Hope it turns out well
It was! The bike is all back together now as of about a week ago, already put another 300 or so miles on her haha. In the end it seems like my issue was the fuel pressure regulator. I hit it with carb cleaner and PTFE WD-40 and the bike runs like brand new. Very happy to be on the road issue free, and rust free!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts