Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
15,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got about 1600 miles on mine and have noticed for a few weeks that the staples on the seat are gradually coming out on the back side causing the seat to come apart. anyone else experiencing this? gonna get some fabric glue and use that in addition to restapling the leather back to the pad, but there's no reason this should be happening so soon, if at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
got about 1600 miles on mine and have noticed for a few weeks that the staples on the seat are gradually coming out on the back side causing the seat to come apart. anyone else experiencing this? gonna get some fabric glue and use that in addition to restapling the leather back to the pad, but there's no reason this should be happening so soon, if at all.
Funny you mention that. I noticed that issue when I removed the stocker to install my Mustang seat. I had about 3-5 staples either missing or backed out. I think heavier riders will experience this more as the seat cover material will stretch more as the seat is compressed. I know I could stand to lose a few!:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Will check...

Have not yet noticed this issue on mine, but will surely check one of these days, as I ordered a bib to replace the passenger seat.
What kind of Mustang seat did your order, Tweak!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have not yet noticed this issue on mine, but will surely check one of these days, as I ordered a bib to replace the passenger seat.
What kind of Mustang seat did your order, Tweak!
I've got the two piece vintage tourer (no backrest). Big difference. It does, however, change you riding position. Up and forward a bit. But I'm already used to it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mustang seat

I've got the two piece vintage tourer (no backrest). Big difference. It does, however, change you riding position. Up and forward a bit. But I'm already used to it.
Thanks for de reply, Tweak. I plan to order a Mustang myself in due time. A bit up and forward is OK by me; I changed the handlebar to a dragbar with 12inch risers which puts you up a bit and gives a bit more active seating position, which I like!!

Ride Safe :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Closer and higher are PERFECT for me, I think that plus the stock seat are causing my lower back pain. I am getting the mustang seat, the Two-Piece Vintage Wide Touring Seat with Driver Backrest, don't like the studded look and the backrest sounds awesome. $670 is steep but I think its the wise upgrade over saddlebags and the sissy bar and luggage rack, they can wait, I need to be able to ride 100 miles first, now I can't travel far enough to carry anything.
Did you buy the seat directly from mustang? How was it to put on, I not good with tools and expensive stuff, I'm a want it done now kind of guy.
Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd pick it up from phatperformanceparts.com

No Tax, free shipping, lower price than direct from Mustang and you get an additional 3% off orders over $300. For the seat you are looking at it would be $583.89 shipped.

I've gotten just about every accessory for my 950 from them (pipes, air kit, fuel controller, seat and bags) and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thx tweak. Is it a big deal putting it on? The drivers seat should be a breeze, the passenger seat I believe you have 4 bolts under the rear fender. Is that it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's a breeze. Passenger seat is 2 bolts. Took all of 5 minutes to install. If you do any two up riding, your passenger will want to give you gifts to thank you for the comfort upgrade!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts