Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the new 950T for my wife and she hates the self canceling signals...they just don't seem to be on when you want them on or off when you want them off... Does anyone know how to just disable them but still use the factory switch for left/right/cancel? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Howdy,
Man, that is one of the uniqueness of the 950. Some big Harley's would kill for that. Just remember that it will go off in 14 seconds and will stay on if you are not rolling

·
Registered
162 Posts
I used to forget to cancel the turn signals on my C50 quite often, now I'm happy as a lark because they are self canceling. The manual states that: "The turn signals will self-cancel after the vehicle has traveled both about 490 feet and for about 15 seconds. However the turn signals can be canceled manually with the switch".

TIP
"The self canceling system only operates when the vehicle is moving, so that the turn signals will not self-cancel while you are stopped at an intersection".

The way mine work is, if I turn the turn signals on while moving before I get to the intersection then stop they'll stay on until I resume moving and go about 490 feet and about 15 seconds.

If yours don't work the way I explained it take the bike back to the dealer and have them repair it.

The turn signal relay has 5 wire to it, the critical wire here is the one that goes the ECU(Engine Control Unit) and to the SPEED SENSOR, one to ground, two to the turn signal switch, and one to the headlamp relay/signaling system fuse.

If you really want to disable the self-canceling feature, disconnect/cut the white/yellow wire at the turn signal relay. From what I can tell by the wiring schematic the turn signals should work ok manually.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sgt Mike,
Do you know any thing about 4-way signals. I went to this web site and they do not have just a 4-way but must put in this device that does away with our switch in order to put in a self cancelling and a 4-way. Sounds a little involve

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sgt Mike,
Do you know any thing about 4-way signals. I went to this web site and they do not have just a 4-way but must put in this device that does away with our switch in order to put in a self cancelling and a 4-way. Sounds a little involve
Do you have a link to the website that you're referring to? I'm not too sure how complicated it would be without seeing and knowing more about the device that you're talking about.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sgt Mike,
Doesn't seem to be much of a complicated installation. The switch on the 950 is a "return-to-neutral position" switch so modification to the switch shouldn't be necessary. The only advantage that the Kisan control has(if you can call it an advantage) is that it has 4-way hazard flasher capability. That feature was on my Boulevard C50, but I never had used it. In my opinion I don't think that it's a critical feature to have on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I didn't know that the signals canceled automatically like that. The dealer told me that they weren't self-canceling. I was about to troubleshoot my electrical system because my signals were not staying active while merging on the freeway. Phew! Glad it's not an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Wiring diagram for the V Star 950, the White/Yellow wire is the signal wire from the speed sensor to the ECU and the Turn signal relay. Removing the White/Yellow wire from the turn signal relay should disable the self cancel turn signal.
Other wires on the turn signal relay
Brown wire is +12v
Black wire is ground
Yellow/Red wire connects to the turn signal switch
Brown/White wire connects to the turn signal switch

I also have the issue where the signals cancel too soon at times, It was the same on my 1985 Yamaha so I am used to it. I have gotten pretty good at knowing when it's going to self cancel, I usually press the turn signal a second time when I think they are about to cancel. I am in the habit of canceling my signal after every turn, I don't wait for it to cancel by itself, I do like to have the self cancel there just in case I forget.

Kevin

·
Administrator
15,314 Posts
at first i thought someone was crazy for wanting to disable the self-canceling. but after riding for a few months now, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. when i'm having to change lanes to get an exit on the highway, sometimes it takes longer than the signal will give me. and if i'm moving over to get an exit where i'm gonna have to turn in the same direction or cross more lanes of traffic, it's impossible to do all that in the time allotted. i want to focus on changing lanes and watching out for cages, not worrying about having to press my turn signal again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts