Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone experienced, as best as I can describe it, an "airy" sound with their 950 after getting up to highway speed for a few miles? I noticed this sound yesterday after work once I had gotten off the freeway. It's not a loud noise, but once I had it at home, I let it idle and it was still there. Then I gave it some throttle and it seemed to me that the sound was coming from the piston area of the motor. I didn't hear it this morning, but I was at work probably before the bike really warmed up.

I'm thinking that maybe an air filter change will help it out some. The bike only has 1575 miles on it. Thanks for any and all help.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have not noticed anything like that, you may want to check the air box, maybe there is a partial blockage on the intake which is between the cylinders. Also check to ensure that the hose did not come off of the the air box, it connects to the back of the air box on the front cylinder side.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not noticed anything like that, you may want to check the air box, maybe there is a partial blockage on the intake which is between the cylinders. Also check to ensure that the hose did not come off of the the air box, it connects to the back of the air box on the front cylinder side.
Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow as best I can. If it's something that continues, I'll just take it to the dealer for a check-up. I'm trying to keep this bike well kept with records for everything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have noticed a couple sounds, one is the valves, many vstars have this sound, better to hear them clicking than not, thats a big problem. The other noise is when you turn the key on, not the normal fuel pump stuff, but a similar sound that does not go away after a few seconds, Doesn't happen often, when it does, I turn the key off then on and its gone after normal turn on noises gone.

My nieghbor who is a bike nut says he hears what he thinks is a exhaust leak, a kinda whistle. But after going over the bike with me, he says it just is the way the bike sounds, probably normal .

I'm terrible when I get a new bike/car, every noise I think something is wrong, until I've had it awhile.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, okay. I'm going to keep an eye and ear on it. If it doesn't really become noticeable (high pitched screeching or other), then I'll probably write it off as being normal. May have some of my buddies take a listen. One of them owns a V-star 650 and the other has been riding since the 60's.

Thanks for the replies folks. I really appreciate the help.

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts