Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite a 950 owner yet but had one question. Since there is no tach, at what speed does the engine vibes become annoying?

Also heard that the valve adjustments are every 16K instead of 4K which was a huge relief. :D

Hope to have my tourer soon!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been doing 70-75 on the interstate and it barely feels like I'm on the throttle. I'll hit 80 at times no problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll put my .02 in. I have the 950T, with about 3300 miles on it since Dec 31st '09.

To me the bike does seem to work hard at about 75-80. Mainly I suppose it SOUNDS like it's working harder (just like most other bikes) at these increased speeds. I have no issues with levels of vibration that I feel are out of place. No excessive vibration through the floorboards, for example. This bike will run at highway speed with no issues. Have confidence.

I will say that stock the 950T is very quiet in the exhaust area and that at speed 65 and above you simply hear the engine humming along. Recently I added Buck's Lowers and I hear a little more of the engine sound directed back at me. I am 5'7 or so and the windshield included in the Tourer could be a few inches taller for wind coverage, but if I had purchased a windshield on my own it probably would have been a short switchblade type as I don't really like how most windshields look anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
im a noob to the 950s as well but i just bought one 2 days ago and on the way home i did feel like the vibrations at 55-70 got a bit annoying. i mostly feel it in the floorboards but it seems to vibrate my eyes as well. i almost have to squint to read a road sign properly. im sure this is something i will get used to, but on all my previous sportbikes i never had this problem. may also be because its brand new? if anyone has any fixes or if it sounds like i have a problem no one else does, let me know so i can address it. Thanks! sorry to threadjack a little!

·
Administrator
13,277 Posts
what kind of footwear are you using to ride? are you gripping the tank with your knees when you ride? something to think about.

coming from a sportbike, yeah you're gonna notice some vibration because it is a Vtwin cruiser and they have more growl than what you're coming from. for the most part, i think you're just a little sensative to it at this point. you'll get used to it, or you can experiment with some things and see if you notice any differences.

for the original poster - annoying vibrations is purely a subjective opinion. nearly all cruisers have some measure of vibration, but unless there's an actual problem with the bike, it's all part of the riding experience. the 950 is no different in this department.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
turbulence

Tintkng,

I wonder if some of the eye vibration is air turbulence? My buddy's 950 is smoother than that. Lowers have been my cure for turbulence behind the windshield on both my 1100 and Liner. I have seen turbulence move my glasses. Don't know about the floorboard thing, I have never noticed that.

I believe Buckslowers.com has lowers for the 950 V Star. I saw a bulletin at my dealer the other day. Yamaha may have some Shock mounted lowers for the 950.

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 09' 950 does 80 like butter. The vibrations dont get to me until around 90-95. If you want a cheap and easy mod that will make the 950 sound like a beast, then drill out the exhaust baffle with a 1 1/2" holesaw bit with a 12" extender for your drill. (I reccomend a hammer drill for better control) I did this the second week I had the bike and it was the best thing ive done to it so far. It doesnt sound like an overgrown mosquito anymore and I spent 16$ total on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts