Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK so like I'm now on a XVS650, I went riding with my dad and his best friend today, on a 1500 Honda gold wing, and H-D Fat bob respectively. Going on the back roads I was having no problems and was able to keep up easily, then we went on the highway. And although I was able to keep up, it was all she could give me, so at that point I decided I need a new bike.

common sense tells me that the 950 would make it much easier to keep up in that one situation, and that I don't need a 1300.
What do you guys/gals think? note I'm 6ft tall and almost 300 lbs (hoping to drop that later speck)

to be honest its my size that makes me think it would be smarter to go up to the 1300, just don't know if I will ever need the power it has.

Also I'm 20 and worried that a 1k+ cc insurance jump might not be worth it at the moment

·
Registered
4 Posts
I started out with a Vulcan 750 which was great for commuting but I got a V Star 1300 because I wanted to do two up riding with my wife and son. I looked at the Vulcan 900 and the V Star 1300 and ended up going with the 1300 because I got a really good deal, $9200 on a left over '08, and I liked the leather covered saddle bags more than the leather one's on the Vulcan (I was only looking at the tourer versions).
I was going to look at the V Star 950 but I didn't want an air cooled bike because of what I read about comparing liquid cooled and air cooled. That and there is just something about buying a first year version of a bike that gives me pause.
As for the insurance, mine went up three fold and I'm 42!! Part of that might've also been that my 750 was a '99. My suggestion is to ask your insurance agent what the difference will be and see if it's worth it to you.
If you mainly want the bike for commuting and cutting up the back roads with an occasional jaunt onto the highway then the 950 would be ample. If you are looking at doing more long distance or two up riding then I would suggest the 1300.
I may get banded from this site for saying this but…look over all the bikes in your price range and configuration. I got on every forum that I could find for the bikes I was looking at, I also considered the Suzuki C90T. Just make sure that you get the bike that fits you and what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I considered the 900 Vulcan classic (more of my personal style) but something about its looks didn't really impress me (looked like someone had customised the classic, were as the 950 looks like it was made a custom).

The furthest I would go with my bike is to over to the near by states (and I wont do that very often). I will give my insurance a call, thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One other thing, if you can wait for a few months, you might consider the new Honda Fury. I know what I said about buying a first year bike but it uses the VTX1300 engine which has been around for quite a while. It DEFINENTLY looks custom. I know that I would be looking at it if I were younger and didn't have a family, or if could afford two bikes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks but I dont like the chopper look myself, to be honest I wish they would take the fury engine and put it in the VTX 1300, do that and improve its breaks and that would be a worthy machine.

That being said, the insurance kicks back, already paying 2x what my dad pays and his bike is that 1500, so yeah anthing too much bigger is already out of the question.

Also I wont be able to buy any new bike for a few more years regardless so yeah thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 950 seems to be plenty of bike for me

OK so like I'm now on a XVS650, I went riding with my dad and his best friend today, on a 1500 Honda gold wing, and H-D Fat bob respectively. Going on the back roads I was having no problems and was able to keep up easily, then we went on the highway. And although I was able to keep up, it was all she could give me, so at that point I decided I need a new bike.

common sense tells me that the 950 would make it much easier to keep up in that one situation, and that I don't need a 1300.
What do you guys/gals think? note I'm 6ft tall and almost 300 lbs (hoping to drop that later speck)

to be honest its my size that makes me think it would be smarter to go up to the 1300, just don't know if I will ever need the power it has.

Also I'm 20 and worried that a 1k+ cc insurance jump might not be worth it at the moment
Now, I'm 62 and have had bigger bikes (A Kawi Vulcan 1500) and I was looking to downsize my bike but not get ridiculously low.. The Star 950 and the Silverado 1100 both seemed to be a good comprimse. I finally settled on the Star 950, It cruises along at 70mph just fine with plenty to spare, I have no desire to get any where close to triple digits anymore. Maybe it has something to do with getting older or wiser. My wife likes to ride with me occasionally and we can 2 up just fine on the 950. My Insurance actually went down. That Said, I think that If I was a younger guy I'd go for a bigger bike, get it out of your system.

Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts