Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm creating a membership to this forum to create exposure to the wheel bearing issue I just experienced on my 2009 950 V-Star. I was on my way up to the Smokey Mtns for the week to play a few days. Just south of Macon I felt change in the bike. Like a light switch all of a sudden I was feeling a LOT of vibration in the whole bike. I slowed down and took the next exit. 1st gear was really notchy, it wouldn't pull cleanly, like the belt was slipping. Turns out it was. The whole axle wore into the axle adjusters in the swingarm and ended up seizing inside them. Took a lot of WD-40 and whacking with a large brass hammer to get it out.

Got a few bearings and seals on order from Ron Ayers for the fix. Now I have a good excuse to go buy a 20T press from Harbor Freight.

Anyway, hello everyone! Once I can post further I'll be creating a thread in the Vstar subforum.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
17k miles. ...but the belt was banjo string tight ...
If you want to destroy the wheel bearings on a MC with belt drive, that is the way to do it.

Chain drive vs shaft drive vs belt drive each have their advantages and trade-offs.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,470 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forums from the Netherlands!

Sorry to hear about your problem, bu tit looks like you have everything under control already. Well done!

Kind regards, Wim

·
Super Moderator
6,411 Posts
Hi Matt!
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Thanks for sharing this information, especially for us 950 owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
989 Posts
that's what one shop did to my belt when they changed rear tire on my old Stryker - set it super tight and told me it's ok. Of course I re-adjusted it as soon as I got back home. Even factory belt tension setting is too tight (3-5mm of deflection for Stryker). It frustrates me how people make repairs/mods without any thinking, but with a lot of "I know what I'm doing, who needs stupid manuals" attitude.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts