Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. Hope everyone is enjoying spring. I’m looking for some help with a problem I’m having. Every time I ride my arms are getting tired super fast. I’m feeling like my arms are too low. Would it be better to get a riser or to replace with a set of ape hangers. I’ve been wanting to upgrade to apes. Maybe something modest like 8” or 10”. I don’t want to be up too high. I’m 6’1” and feel like I need the bars higher and closer to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey guys and gals. Hope everyone is enjoying spring. I’m looking for some help with a problem I’m having. Every time I ride my arms are getting tired super fast. I’m feeling like my arms are too low. Would it be better to get a riser or to replace with a set of ape hangers. I’ve been wanting to upgrade to apes. Maybe something modest like 8” or 10”. I don’t want to be up too high. I’m 6’1” and feel like I need the bars higher and closer to me.

A lot of riders find they can improve the ride comfort significantly by raising the stock bar height. This can be done most simply by adding a taller handlebar or risers under the stock bar. I added both a riser and a slightly taller bar (see photo) that both brought the bar back closer to me and raised it a little so I didn't feel crouched over as much.

One note about raising the bars is the concern of the reach limitations of the stock handlebar controls (e.g. turn signals) wiring and the brake fluid res lines. Mine aren't even apes, yet I had to extend the length of the wiring for the increased rise. The best way to go with apes is to plan on wiring your controls internally through the bars (what I did) and the easiest way is to purchase an extra set of used controls to use the wiring so it's 'plug-n-play' matching up the wires for the extra length you'll need with the end plugs already on.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

PS: Here is a great place to find used cycle parts: https://pinwallcycle.com/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I still haven’t gotten around to changing out my bars. I hear some people switch to these RSTD? Bars. I’m not sure what I want to. I don’t want to have to change the cables. I’m fairly new to motorcycles so that scares me some. I’d rather just switch out with taller bars and keep the pull back the same. But finding bars that are higher with the same pull back is proving a little tricky.

·
Administrator
13,279 Posts
i've seen other 950 owners post about putting 10" apes on without having to replace the cables, though you may have to reroute them a bit

What is the max riser height you can go without swapping cables on a 950?

10" apes on the stock risers. so maybe 10" risers on the stock bars?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I’m not gonna go with the apes. I decided to just add a few inches and get a taller riser. I don’t want anymore pullback just height.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts