Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about upgrading handlebars on my 2012 Vstar 950 Tourer for long distance riding. Do I install a 2 " rise first, or can someone explain all that needs to be done/ Also, what has others found work? and are happy with...If a person's height is a consideration, I am 5'9. Thanks for your help.
Ride safe~YammyV

·
Administrator
13,697 Posts
"needs to be done" depends on the individual's needs. do you need the grips higher? closer to you? a lot can be done by finding the right risers and not having to change out the handlebar at all. and the height of the grips can be adjusted by changing the angle of the handlebars in the risers.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bevo, but what determines how high or close the grips should be? I have not done long distance riding at this jucture, but am looking forward to some this summer.

Do you go to a cycle shop and check out different risers that fit your bike? Sorry I am just learning and not familiar doing some changes to my bike myself. Getting advice from some of you fellas who have experienced mods gives good insight for ladies interested in the challenge doing their bike work themselves.

Appreciate the help,

YammyV

·
Registered
49 Posts
what determines how high or close the grips should be?
Its how comfy the reach is for you.

So is your ? what rise Ape hangers you should get?

I ask you this. How Tall are you?
Do you want your hands at shoulder level or above?

So let me put it to you this way. I'm 5'6. The most total rise I would go would be 12-14" apes. 14" max. I don't wanna be uncomfortable.
So then for me; I would do 2" risers and 12" apes for my height and taking into account the distance between the upper tree and the middle to the top of the tank. Pull back on the bars comes into play too.

So if your 5'8 or taller I would go 14" to 16" These numbers DONT include riser height.
Hope this helped.

OH BTW. Seat height will have an affect on the size of apes too. That is if you plan on lowering the rear only, than the rise of the apes will change too. Its like that on my bobber. My seat heat was 22" and I had 10" custom apes made for it. My back would hurt a bit because of where i wanted the bars placed for a compromise on appearance and comfort.

So I made my own spring solo seat. That raised me about 2" and now my reach is perfect. Again, I hope I'm not confusing you..lol

·
Registered
417 Posts
Check out this site

http://cycle-ergo.com

It will allow you to tinker around with motorcycle model, handlebar metrics, rider height, seat height etc.

Riding all day on a cruiser leaned too much forward is uncomfortable as is riding straight armed all day. Straight armed will limit your control of the bike.

You will want some bend at your elbows. I can't imagine you need increased bar height but may need/want some additional pull back at 5'9" tall.

Here is a pretty good article by somebody I often take with a grain of salt but he makes some good points about riding comfort in this article.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/motorcycle_ergonomics.html

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses and suggestions! Found the sites very interesting and informative, thanks "Slayer". Will continue to consider what my ride has already. Perhaps the best would be to wait until I actually experience long distance, then determine if I need to make adjustments. I have invested in Kuryaking grips and throttle boss for both hands. At this point, I intend to upgrade seat, as well.

Ride safe,
YammyV

·
Administrator
13,697 Posts
you can also just sit on your bike, and then stretch out your hands to a point where you feel you would be most comfortable, and then see what the angle and distance is from that point to where your grips currently are. that may give you a starting point.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the responses and suggestions! Found the sites very interesting and informative, thanks "Slayer". Will continue to consider what my ride has already. Perhaps the best would be to wait until I actually experience long distance, then determine if I need to make adjustments. I have invested in Kuryaking grips and throttle boss for both hands. At this point, I intend to upgrade seat, as well.

Ride safe,
YammyV
I have a new mustang seat along with a big air kit in the classifieds if you're interested

1 - 8 of 8 Posts