Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

950T shifter placement for short legs

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  04ctd 
#1 ·
My girlfriend (endorsed since 74 riding everything from sports bikes and crotch rockets to gold wings and HD fatboys and past BRC instructor) dumped the new 950T I just bought her.

Primary contributer was the toe shifter is too far forward for her to upshift comfortably. She was beginning to get used to heel up shifting when she was confronted by a 4 wheeler crowding her. Uncomfortable setup, uncomfortable conditions, need for quick upshift, perfect setup for upset and some deep bruising even with great protection gear.

Does anybody know of any aftermarket parts that might help out her shifter fit situation? Cutting off the shifter mounting bracket and welding it back on two inches to the rear would put the heel shifter too far back into where her left leg needs to go down.

This was not something I was expecting given that my 650 is a reasonable fit for her (seat could be an inch lower to give her a bigger stance for dealing with uneven ground conditions) and most reviews saying that there wasn't enough leg room on the 950.

#2 ·
we are taking our 950 to a local bike shop,

have them cut off the peg and weld it back on an inch back.

for now, i have a bracket tie wrapped around it.

the wife got JAMMED into a situation yesterday and could NOT work the shifter.

it's just too far forward for short people

#3 ·
The fix for the my girlfriend was to cut a piece out of the front shifter (1 1/2 inches top 1 3/8 inches bottom) to move the front peg back and up so the boot toe would fit under it. Hers was the first of two 950 T's from the same dealer that is getting the same treatment (the other bike one is only getting an inch out of it). The worst thing about this fix is it won't work if another rider wears more than a size 10 in which case the heel peg would have to be cut off.

#4 · (Edited)
the pegs are adjusted by the "reach rod" from the shifter assy to the tranny.

loosen the jamb nuts,
and twist the bar...that moves the front up or down,

the problem when you pull the front peg up too far,
is that the rear peg goes under the rear floorboard so that you CANNOT shift down your heel, because the range of motion requried won't work, because the peg goes flat with the floorboard.

but it works fine like that, for toe only

so there isn't any cutting required to make it to shift only with the front peg.
just some tweaking

if she phycially can't reach it, yeah, you gotta cut something, see my thread :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.