Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Newbie here. I am considering to trade my 1500cc Goldwing and 800cc Suzuki C50T for a bike somewhere in between in size. I find the Goldwing too heavy and bulky for small road cruising and the C50T not sufficient for 55+ mph roads.

I'm considering the 950T, 1300T or even an older 1100. I want the smallest possible bike that still feels adequate, stable and smooth on 55+ mph roads (although I mainly ride on 35-45 mph roads). My C50T is geared much too low for my liking and feels "buzzy" (high rpms) at 55+ mph. I suppose some of that is because the Goldwing feels so smooth at those speeds.

So my questions are:
1. Which bike (950T, 1300T, etc.) will best meet my needs? Has anybody ridden both the Suzuki C50T and Star 950T to compare how they handle at highway speed?
2. Star 1300T vs. 1300T Deluxe: which windshield (batwing or lexan) provides the best wind protection against buffeting?
3. Is there a major insurance cost jump between the 950cc & 1300cc?
4. Do any Star models have self-cancel turn signals?
5. Has anybody seen passenger grab rails for Star models? My boy likes to ride with me once in awhile, but likes to hold onto something.

Thanks!
Gary

·
Registered
51 Posts
i can't comment on the 1300 but i do ride the stryker which has the same engine as the 1300 and it has plenty of power and is smooth. my wife rides the 950t and loves the bike very stable and smooth and comfortable, i have rode it a few times and it is a nice bike. insurance would be cheeper on the 950t and it has no problems on the hwy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have the 1300 Deluxe. It has the power to handle the highways at 70+ mph. It is a long bike so it smooths things out some. For the size it handles easily. I live in a rural area with lots of small roads and plenty of curves. The 1300 handles well in the curves. My only minor issue is that with the hills I find that I either ride in 4th gear a lot or have to do a lot of shifting between 4th and 5th. After riding a Goldwing (which I test rode before buying) among the bikes you are looking the 1300 Deluxe will be the least change. It is still a big bike at around 100" long and pushing 700 pounds. Not downing the others on your list but I preferred the bigger bike.

One specific advantage as far as maintenance goes is the Deluxe is fuel injected. No choke and no carbs to fiddle with. Unless you like that kind of fiddling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the 1300 Deluxe. It has the power to handle the highways at 70+ mph. It is a long bike so it smooths things out some. For the size it handles easily. I live in a rural area with lots of small roads and plenty of curves. The 1300 handles well in the curves. My only minor issue is that with the hills I find that I either ride in 4th gear a lot or have to do a lot of shifting between 4th and 5th. After riding a Goldwing (which I test rode before buying) among the bikes you are looking the 1300 Deluxe will be the least change. It is still a big bike at around 100" long and pushing 700 pounds. Not downing the others on your list but I preferred the bigger bike.

One specific advantage as far as maintenance goes is the Deluxe is fuel injected. No choke and no carbs to fiddle with. Unless you like that kind of fiddling.
Thank you! How well does the batwing fairing on the Deluxe prevent wind buffeting? Does it work as well as the regular windshields and are lowers (fork deflectors) still needed?

·
Administrator
13,705 Posts
i believe the insurance jump starts at 1000cc's. can someone confirm?
i know the 950 has self-canceling signals.
i rode my 950 halfway across the country while keeping the needle above 90mph most of the way on the interstates. so it can handle 55mph+ roads just fine.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The fairing and windshield minimize the buffeting and wind noise very well. I don't have lowers on mine but may add them for cool weather. What wind and buffeting there is isn't uncomfortable. I don't get any noticeable head buffeting at all.

Insurance may be more but is very reasonable. I added the 1300 on the policy for my ATV. Comprehensive, liability etc is just over $400 for both per year.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would recommend the 1300 easy handling, big bike ride with mid size feel, plenty of power, smooth at highway speeds. I prefer the 1300 over the 1100 for smoothness the 1100 is too buzzy. My wife has the 1100 and would like to get something smother on the highway, she has been looking at the HD Switchback. That might be another option to look at? I'm not familiar with the 950 all I know is that I had a friend that bought a new one and traded it in on a Royal Star.
Hope this helps some!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I came from a 2007 Suzuki c50 a few years back, good bike, however i wanted a bike that could handle the interstates and everythiing in- between without being buzzy at higher speeds, the 1300 tourer fits the job as perfect as it can as an all around bike, from local roads to the interstate.
No bike can do everything, but if you want something lighter, sportier and easy to handle that wont get blown around on the road or by the semi's on the road, I would suggest the 1300 tourer, I have the med windshield on mine with memphis shades lowers, NEVER does my wife and I have buffeting at any speed that I travel at which is as high as 85 indicated on the interstates as a norm, lower speeds are more fun for sure.
Now at 17,000 plus miles its been rock solid and has not needed a repair. As with many metric bikes, a sixth gear would be nice but the 1300 gearing is tall so really not an issue.

I MAY one day go to an American sixth speed bike bit will always be a concern if i will enjoy it as much as my 1300.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I came from a 2007 Suzuki c50 a few years back, good bike, however i wanted a bike that could handle the interstates and everythiing in- between without being buzzy at higher speeds, the 1300 tourer fits the job as perfect as it can as an all around bike, from local roads to the interstate.
No bike can do everything, but if you want something lighter, sportier and easy to handle that wont get blown around on the road or by the semi's on the road, I would suggest the 1300 tourer, I have the med windshield on mine with memphis shades lowers, NEVER does my wife and I have buffeting at any speed that I travel at which is as high as 85 indicated on the interstates as a norm, lower speeds are more fun for sure.
Now at 17,000 plus miles its been rock solid and has not needed a repair. As with many metric bikes, a sixth gear would be nice but the 1300 gearing is tall so really not an issue.

I MAY one day go to an American sixth speed bike bit will always be a concern if i will enjoy it as much as my 1300.
Great stuff! Thanks! Has the extra weight of 1300T (668-712 lbs curb weight depending on website) compared to C50T (611-644 lbs) impacted slow speed handling at all? Do you really even notice the extra weight?

Thanks also for info on gearing. That really bothered me with C50T, until I just recently had DJ Mod using VS1400 driveshaft. But it still feels rather light and underpowered on highway.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I can only speak for a 1300 and 90% of the time I ride 2 up. Its got plenty of power, very comfortable, agile....I cant say enough good things about it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
either the 1300 or 950 will be a good choice both are fuel injected, belt drive and will do all you want, now go find one and see if the dealership will let you test ride both.

·
Registered
845 Posts
i believe the insurance jump starts at 1000cc's. can someone confirm?
i know the 950 has self-canceling signals.
QUOTE]

Na ... guess it depends on your credit score and also metric vs american.

When I went from my 07 Suzuki c50 to the 1300 tourer my insurance went lower but at the time I also switched from Geico to Progressive.
Anyway, long story short, you will pay more for a larger engine, kind of like a car but not big jump at all depending on your history and if you do try both the above companies.
I pay less then $300 a year for FULL coverage, everything, theft, collision and I am not talking low dollar amounts on liability uninsured, underinsured ..etc. I do carry higher deducatables, as low deducatables are a waste of money.

1300 has self canceling signals too

·
Registered
810 Posts
I agree with all that has been said about the 1300. It is big enough to tour cross country but nimble enough to zip around town, and being liquid cooled is a plus on hot days, but the 950 is easier to maintain since it is air cooled. One thing I keep hearing from a lot of 950 owners is they wish they went bigger for highway travel. I guess the 950 is geared a little lower so it runs at higher rpm on the on the highway. I really know nothing about the 1100, but the 950 and the 1300 are both amazing and versatile machines. All three will run for a zillion miles, but I hear the 1100 requires more frequent valve adjustments.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tomorrow will be a month since I switched over from a suzuki c50 to a 1300 v star. So far I can't say anything but I love it, love it, love it. We do 98% of our riding 2 up and the yamaha is a dream to ride. To me it handles better and rides smoother. The yamaha is a little heavier but to me it feels like it has a lower center of gravity and never low on power. The only complaint I have is not the bikes fault but just me still getting used to the extra torque and power over the c50, I still think I have to go through all the gears in town and have to back down to 4th alot because 5th is like overdrive and 4th is all I need to be in. Can't go wong with the 1300, can't say about the 950 or 1100 I have never ridden those.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Great stuff! Thanks! Has the extra weight of 1300T (668-712 lbs curb weight depending on website) compared to C50T (611-644 lbs) impacted slow speed handling at all? Do you really even notice the extra weight?

Thanks also for info on gearing. That really bothered me with C50T, until I just recently had DJ Mod using VS1400 driveshaft. But it still feels rather light and underpowered on highway.
Im a bit older myself and I was so CONCERNED about weight when I first considered this bike. Let me say, weight is not a concern with the 1300, in fact, I think it is just because of the weight that I am not blown around at higher speeds and the interstate.

Slow speed handling is of course heaver then the c50 but, believe it or not, the bike feels more balanced and I find it easier to ride real slow when coming up to traffic lights, so slow almost at a stop and still do not have to put my feet down.

Being a little more heavy, you MAY want to try to remember which way the bike is facing when you pull into a parking spot or curb, so you dont have to back up a hill, but I never got stuck.
The only way you notice the extra weight, is in a good way sort of. The bike is a bit more smooth, yes, at a slight cost of a little less "one with the road feeling" you will find the more weight, in general makes for a much more stable bike. I guess more planted on the road.

Now that I have had the 1300 for a few years, I find myself wondering, even as I get older, if I might one day swing buying a Victory Cross Roads or a Road King at only another 60 more pounds because I noticed to me, now, with the 1300 that weight is not even a thought, well, maybe a little thought.

·
Registered
845 Posts
... The only complaint I have is not the bikes fault but just me still getting used to the extra torque and power over the c50, I still think I have to go through all the gears in town and have to back down to 4th alot because 5th is like overdrive and 4th is all I need to be in. Can't go wong with the 1300, can't say about the 950 or 1100 I have never ridden those.
Correct, as time goes by you will learn/get used to, not even thinking about shifting into 5th gear until you are moving over 60MPH.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Correct, as time goes by you will learn/get used to, not even thinking about shifting into 5th gear until you are moving over 60MPH.
Yes, I have adopted a "rule" when riding my 1300; I don't shift to 5th until I reach 55-60 mph and will be staying at that speed for a while, otherwise it feels like it is lugging.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts