Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'14 1300 Tourer
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2017 I purchased a brand new leftover 2014 1300 tourer.
I'm guessing due to cosmetic issues, bags are at different heights, & a few other things,
nobody bought it.

I got a great deal on it, dressed it up a little, now I have almost 28000 miles on it.

I'm an Old Timer, w/ health issues, so nowadays I'm a Fair Weather Rider.

I discovered A few things about the bike.

If you don't put down the side stand before you dismount, the bike will fall over.

No matter how hard you try, a key from a Chevy Cobalt will not go into the ignition.

No matter how many times you press it, or how hard,
the Reset switch will not start the bike.

;):giggle:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wrong, wrong, wrong!
One: you lay the bike down and THEN put the side stand out.
Two: The Chevy Cobalt key (and any key, for that matter) will go into the ignition: shave the darned thing down to a pin, arby.
(Sheesh, do I have to give away all my own personal secrets?)
Three: okay, reset button...I don't have one, so I just turn that little knob on my V Star 1100 to off...something about fuel. Who knows.

Sigh!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
The bike doesn't fall over, it's tired and needs a nap.

The key will fit, it's getting older and gained some weight, put it on a diet via the grinder.

The reset button does start the bike, it starts counting new mileage.

So, I do see any issues here.

·
Registered
'14 1300 Tourer
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other thing that's happened, on every bike I've owned.

As I'm approaching a stoplight, and paying attention to the
young lady wearing short shorts, or a halter top, when the light changes, and I go to take off, the bike(s) stall because it put itself in 2nd gear.

:giggle: :LOL:

·
Registered
2003 V Star 1100 Classic, Bluish-Silver
25 Posts
I have discovered that the handlebars are slightly easier to reach if you sit on the bike facing them. The downside is you have to use the mirrors to keep an eye on traffic behind you instead of watching it directly. Also, the mirrors are intended for the traffic to keep an eye on your bald spot with a degree of separation, but now they have to look at it directly.

·
Registered
'14 1300 Tourer
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wrong, wrong, wrong!
One: you lay the bike down and THEN put the side stand out.
Two: The Chevy Cobalt key (and any key, for that matter) will go into the ignition: shave the darned thing down to a pin, arby.
(Sheesh, do I have to give away all my own personal secrets?)
Three: okay, reset button...I don't have one, so I just turn that little knob on my V Star 1100 to off...something about fuel. Who knows.

Sigh!
Geez Starkman, I see you're right on top of things! (y)

·
Registered
'14 1300 Tourer
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have discovered that the handlebars are slightly easier to reach if you sit on the bike facing them. The downside is you have to use the mirrors to keep an eye on traffic behind you instead of watching it directly. Also, the mirrors are intended for the traffic to keep an eye on your bald spot with a degree of separation, but now they have to look at it directly.
I see your point, and agree.

Just about anybody can ride facing forward, but it takes a
a special breed of men to ride facing backwards.

·
Registered
'14 1300 Tourer
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess there is where i am confused. I thought you are just supposed to drink beer and look at it.
Nah. After you finish the beer, fire that Bad Boy up, sit facing backwards, and go for a ride.

Reactions: Smells_Familiar

·
Registered
760 Posts
Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can definitely relate to the Reset Button observation...if you're on one of the trip odometers to monitor your mileage to see when you should be looking for a gas station, you get to start all over!

Reactions: arby

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
There is a formula for when a bike will fall,....
The more people watching you ( and will laugh) increases the chance of it falling by a factor of 10.
The length of the light and the number of people behind you increases your chances of stalling the engine on release of the clutch by a factor of 5 , unless you our riding with a group ( who again will laugh at you) then it increases by a factor of 20.

·
Registered
131 Posts
YUP!

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Trish says the bike didn't fall over, it was just rolling over so you can rub it's belly. ( Dogs owners can relate to this)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Trish says the bike didn't fall over, it was just rolling over so you can rub it's belly. ( Dogs owners can relate to this)
I need to remember this for the next time it happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts