Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been riding for 24 years. currently ride a 99 road king. I am looking to add a road star within the next couple months and have been searching for information. I would like it carb'd, (wich I think is 99-06) did these bikes only have 1 carb or 2? is the transmission and the motor 2 seperate pieces? Currently I change oil, trans, and primary fluid on a regular basis with the harley, but i know many metric bikes only have I fluid doing everything. I just don't know how the road star is..
I have wanted to try a road star for several years.
Please, i am not trying to start any type of debate over harley vs road star. I plan on keeping my harley, but I just love motorcycles, and I am not brand specific. I ride about 10k miles a year and am looking for something that is big and powerful enough to really ride, and is dependable. It will only be used as a solo bike for fun (wife rides her own) and will probably end up being bobbed out. I just want something to play with.
does anyone know if their is much of a seat-of-the-pants power difference between the road star and the harley road king (1450 twin cam)? I should also state that due to cost I will probably be looking at the pre 2004 road stars.
Is there enough of a power difference between the 1600 and the 1700 to make it worth spending the extra $ for it?
Is there any changes between 99-03 worth mentioning?
thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Roadstar

Cike,

I think you will find the Roadstar engine oil and transmission are the same oil. the final drive is 90 weight gear oil. Has a dry sump with an oil reservior.

Here is a link to a site with the service manual for both the 1600 and 1700. If it will help.

http://www.paulmilner.com/

I think it will have an edge over the stock Harley 1450. I have riden both bikes but, not much and don't really know.

Here is a site with dyno charts for 1600 and 1700 roadstars stock and modified.

http://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/yamaha_dynos.htm

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts