Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a clear sunny 68 degree day yesterday and since I had the day off we went for a 2.5 hour ride.
We rode to the Spring City Tn area where I’d heard of a quaint little restaurant named Winsteads American grill from a few fellow LEO’s.
As we pulled into the parking lot there were two HD’s two spaces to our left and both riders exited the restaurant as we dismounted our Yammy. I graciously nodded and spoke to them as both older gentleman looked at our bike and we immediately received the ‘harley snub’. They mounted their rides and sped off. I chuckled knowing they didn’t represent the majority of HD owners, and I’m sharing this not to offend anyone here that owns/rides an HD, however it did make me appreciate being a metric owner that much more. In all the years I’ve ridden off and on, I’ve never been snubbed by a metric owner. I also enjoy the fact I paid half of what they did for theirs and I have great reliability to boot. There are no longer any 100% made in America bikes, as HD claims. My theory is that we’re all bikers regardless of brand. Why can’t we just all ride together? It was one of things that make you go um....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
960 Posts
I switched to HD from metric, my wife still rides 650 Custom. I try to wave every biker on the road (if I can) and I didn't really care if some of those HD riders with a "Harley brain decease" didn't respond to my waving when I was on my old Stryker. So, just ignore them Keith. It is not a brand - it is just dumb people, so why to waste your time on stupid folks?

I agree with Red Whine. I know one guy at work who is an HD snub. He also drives a truck like a "true American" except his truck is a Nissan Frontier lol.

Enjoy your ride and be safe!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a guy on a HD compliment one of my saddle bags while still sneering at the bike it was mounted on. Personally, I will wave to anyone on two wheels. I got a giant smile from a girl on a scooter the other day as I passed her because I waved and I'm sure she was taken completely by surprise. I don't care what you ride, just ride!

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
xenophobia: fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign

going back thousands of years there is an aspect of human understanding that allows us to realize, that there is only one human species on Earth, regardless of where national boarders are drawn, or genetic variations are defined as race

I value human accomplishment and achievement no matter where it originates and thrives. If one culture is better at making vehicles or mass producing electronics, or creating new music or other artforms, or advancing technology that allows us to better understand the nature of our lives, the world we live in, and the universe itself, then I will be cheering them on and supporting them 100%.

If you follow this far, you can take it one step further: there is only one life form on Earth. Just as our bodies are made up of individual cells, some that are connected directly together, and some that are transported freely about in our blood stream, life on Earth is comprised of individuals that together form the entirety of DNA life on the planet.

The life that is me, built with in-animate atoms and elements, is the same life in all living things: DNA.

We understand the science behind it today. When a cell divides the DNA un-winds into two halves, and the atoms from each half are duplicated. What was one DNA cell becomes two, but each is half of the original, so there is no new life, there is no different life, there is no separate life - it is the same life expanding beyond physical contact. If the original cell was named Oscar, which of the two cells after the divide is now Oscar? They both are.

People realized this thousands of years ago before the science was understood, and they understood it perfectly. There is only one Life on Earth.

The idea that a brain cell would look at a toe-nail cell and think it was better than the other - is absurd.

The idea that a person in one part of the Earth would shun the production or technology of the people in another another part of the Earth is equally absurd.

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a guy on a HD compliment one of my saddle bags while still sneering at the bike it was mounted on. Personally, I will wave to anyone on two wheels. I got a giant smile from a girl on a scooter the other day as I passed her because I waved and I'm sure she was taken completely by surprise. I don't care what you ride, just ride!

Amen to that! I’m definitely not offended, it was just funny to me as I wave at the moped riders etc. I don’t care what you’re riding, we’re outdoors and enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Being a finance guy and biker rider I like the keep up with "the numbers" in the biking world. Part of the reason for Harley's 10% drop in sales in Q2 of 2017 and still continuing to have bad sales numbers is because of the HD snobs. HD was built on brand loyalty and the thought that no bike was as good or even close to a HD. Well, that kind of thinking did well for the baby boomers and some of the later generations. But their practice of overpriced parts/gear and overpriced bikes has started to come around and ultimately kill their sales. The younger generations such as mine (the lazy generations) don't care about the "brand" of the bike or how big the bikes are. These generations want smaller, lighter, cheaper, better mpg bikes. We don't want to pay $100 for a simple oil change or $500 for a paper thin leather jacket with just a name. I can get a new vstar 650 for like $3k-$5k, or somewhere close to that. Can do all the work myself, change every ounce of oil in the bike for <$100. According to the service pricing menu for Beach House HD in Shallotte NC. Just an engine oil change is $101 for a sportster. This is why HD has had to start making smaller bikes that cost less and why they bought Ducati. Sorry for the rant lol, but yeah I've had HD guys do the same thing, especially at bike rallies. I just smile and walk away:grin:

·
Registered
909 Posts
... This is why HD has had to start making smaller bikes that cost less and why they bought Ducati...
!!!!!!!WHAT?!!!!! That went through? I didn't keep up with that story but the last I heard VW wasn't going to sell and out of the potential investors I figured HD would be the last one to buy.

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being a finance guy and biker rider I like the keep up with "the numbers" in the biking world. Part of the reason for Harley's 10% drop in sales in Q2 of 2017 and still continuing to have bad sales numbers is because of the HD snobs. HD was built on brand loyalty and the thought that no bike was as good or even close to a HD. Well, that kind of thinking did well for the baby boomers and some of the later generations. But their practice of overpriced parts/gear and overpriced bikes has started to come around and ultimately kill their sales. The younger generations such as mine (the lazy generations) don't care about the "brand" of the bike or how big the bikes are. These generations want smaller, lighter, cheaper, better mpg bikes. We don't want to pay $100 for a simple oil change or $500 for a paper thin leather jacket with just a name. I can get a new vstar 650 for like $3k-$5k, or somewhere close to that. Can do all the work myself, change every ounce of oil in the bike for <$100. According to the service pricing menu for Beach House HD in Shallotte NC. Just an engine oil change is $101 for a sportster. This is why HD has had to start making smaller bikes that cost less and why they bought Ducati. Sorry for the rant lol, but yeah I've had HD guys do the same thing, especially at bike rallies. I just smile and walk away:grin:

Excellent point brittct. At bike rallies I do the same. I compliment the owners no matter the brand if I find their bike to my liking. I also have seen the same trend you’re speaking of.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I went to a couple of rallies awhile back. Didn't take me long to figure out all it was is a parade of a bunch of guys acting like they wish they had a bigger penis. And the other half are too busy acting like Peter Fonda and Marlon Brando. I got better things to do with my time. Like ya know...actually ride.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk
Yep! I love my HD dealership in my hometown (Cox's HD) because they allow all bikers! We have street bikers that participate in the rides as well. Also the semester of college football I played, the owner's son was my teammate:cool: But any biker rally you go, Myrtle beach, outer banks, Daytona, a lot of them are flexing their dicks because they think they are cooler than everyone else because their bikes are 20K.

!!!!!!!WHAT?!!!!! That went through? I didn't keep up with that story but the last I heard VW wasn't going to sell and out of the potential investors I figured HD would be the last one to buy.
Pretty sure they did. Maybe not. Last I heard they were headed in that direction.
Here is some great articles if anyone is interested: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/10/17/harley-davidson-profit-sputters-u-s-motorcycle-sales-lag/771067001/
https://www.thestreet.com/story/13540081/1/3-reasons-why-harley-davidson-is-headed-for-a-crash.html

·
Registered
909 Posts
That's why I no longer go on group rides... the mentality just doesn't jibe with what I was used to and why I started riding. I've done the Gypsy Tour (Loudon) many times in the 80s, Daytona Bike Week and and many other more obscure rallies in the 90's and 2000's. I used to go to those rallies to see bikes of various makes and models and talk to genuinely knowledgeable people but that changed over the years. I thought things started looking better after seeing 'open' rallies like Born Free but saw too many vids of the younger generation rolling on old school iron head and Triumph choppers (a good thing) but then hop into sag wagons when their bikes broke down (not such a good thing) because they didn't bother learning how to wrench or maintain their rides. There's just too much fronting and posing going on now. It's a rare thing these days to see another motorcyclist at a gas station or rest area and be able to strike up a good conversation about experiences and how much fun it is to ride. Most of the time the other person is more interested in one-upmanship.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That's why I no longer go on group rides... the mentality just doesn't jibe with what I was used to and why I started riding. I've done the Gypsy Tour (Loudon) many times in the 80s, Daytona Bike Week and and many other more obscure rallies in the 90's and 2000's. I used to go to those rallies to see bikes of various makes and models and talk to genuinely knowledgeable people but that changed over the years. I thought things started looking better after seeing 'open' rallies like Born Free but saw too many vids of the younger generation rolling on old school iron head and Triumph choppers (a good thing) but then hop into sag wagons when their bikes broke down (not such a good thing) because they didn't bother learning how to wrench or maintain their rides. There's just too much fronting and posing going on now. It's a rare thing these days to see another motorcyclist at a gas station or rest area and be able to strike up a good conversation about experiences and how much fun it is to ride. Most of the time the other person is more interested in one-upmanship.
Good point! I actually had an interesting conversation with an older guy the other day who used to ride a HD and he actually complimented my Vstar. He had put over 500k miles on his HD road king. He had ridden all of the lower 48 states, all of the Canadian providences, and a few places in Mexico. But guess what he was riding now? A Yamaha 1300 touring. Said that it was actually a better bike than his HD

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm not too sad about HD's predicament, as far as I'm concerned it's well deserved. Aside from a momentary lapse of good judgement back in the early 90s when I bought an FXR I was only ever really interested in the Sporties yet every HD dealer I went into had the nerve to be be condescending because I preferred 'a chick's bike'. When it's common to get that sort of flack at every dealer of a particular brand you kinda wish they would shrivel up and die.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I truly don't get the Harley Vs. Metric thing. I love bikes of all kinds. My 'regular riders' are a Harley my VStar, and I own several other vintage bikes of various marques - mostly metric.

yes, the HD Snob thing is real. I have certainly seen the difference riding a metric vs. my HD in how I'm received and responded to. I see the 'friends don't let friends ride metric' patches and such all too often.

OTOH, snobbery knows no bounds: my Harley is a '96 Sportster 1200 and I get the "even within Harley" snobbery on that front too. I hear how it's a 'girl-bike', it's not a 'real' Harley, etc. Hell, my own father gives me crap about riding a Sportster versus his "Fat Boy Low." My Sportster is chopped and bobbed to under 400 lbs. with carb, intake and exhaust mods to the point I literally -can't- WOT without being thrown off the back of the bike (no backrest or sissy bar for aesthetic reasons): But Mr. Harley-Dude... I'll put my 'girl bike' up against your loaded-down bagger HD any day if you'd like to be embarrassed. I'm not saying it'll beat any bike on the road in a drag-race (it won't: it's no 'Busa. It's not even a mid-grade CBR or Ninja...). But it'll kick the butt of most-any stock Harley, including the ones that are "bigger and better".

I'll give Harley this much: I do find them easier to work on and customize. But that's in large part because they're based on simpler, older techology than most modern-era metric bikes. So you want easier to mess with, or more-hp-per-cc? To me, that's a choice that's completely personal and no right-or-wrong.

I don't own my Harley because "it's a Harley," but because it's a good fun bike to ride. It's light, powerful and nimble. And (despite what many may say), it's reliable, dependable, starts every time and doesn't leak oil. I've said before and will say again: whether it's a car or a bike or an engagement ring... My answer to "did I get a good deal?" is "dunno... do you like it?" I like my Harley.

Having said that... I'm the first to appreciate the benefits of metrics (even if I'm perhaps particular to Yamaha among them, find most Hondas boring, and maybe not such a Suzuki fan). But they all have excellent reliability & Great engineering. More "bang" for your buck, typically. etc. etc.

Basically, I see both sides, and I see no reason NOT to appreciate both sides' benefits and advantages.

If I had to own ONLY one bike... I have no idea. I'd be very hard pressed to pick.

I can simply tell you that with the luck to be able to afford 2 bikes, I'll very happily have "one of each"... My favorite HD and my favorite metric. That I am blessed to have a few others in the garage to ride... just a bonus.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am genuinely sorry that's been your experience.

I find the opposite, mostly: MOST bikers I encounter can still result in a good chat. Though SOME certainly have a chip on their shoulder/point to prove.

I do agree that group rides are a mixed-bag. I ride with a group that I've found to be fun. Regrettably, they're the exception rather than the rule. Most groups are a bit too 'exclusionary' or 'judgmental' for my taste. "jsut harley" or "just sportbikes" etc., and that's a shame for us all.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
i rode with a buddy of mine down to the coast for the day a few summers ago and we stopped at a gas station on the way back where we met an older gent on a HD sportster. since he was heading the same direction, we invited him to ride with us until he had to turn off. me on my yamaha, my buddy on his kawasaki vulcan, and this older HD rider. it's pretty great when you can meet people who have a healthy attitude about bikes and are genuinely decent people in general that you can all share the bike culture together.

i've been to several different rallies all over central Texas over the past decade and i've learned that you find different kinds of people at different kinds of rallies. and it seems that the larger the rally, the more likely you're going to find the 'HD ego', or the kind of snobby or party biker that some of you have alluded to. but smaller, less showcased rallies seems to draw more friendly people looking to find likewise.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Don't worry about it bro. Those idiots on the HDs that snub you, probably have a Camry at home in the driveway. That stuff doesn't bother me. I couldn't care less if other riders like me or my bike. I don't ride with other people or in groups anyway.
Not to stoke any fires... I have a neighbor. Let's call him Joe (since his name is Joseph). 50-ish.

Joe bought a CVO last year with no riding experience. He's 5'4" and a buck-and-a-quarter tops. Can't handle it. Too much bike, too little experience.

Basically takes it out once a month in the summer to the "Biker Night" at Quaker Steak. Barely makes it there: 4 miles away. Rides 'the long way' there because the direct route has a steep hill - and if traffic stops, he can't get the bike started going uphill. 1,800 cc's of probably-never-gone-over-35-mph power.

Has all the regalia (american flag bandanna, leather vest with eagles and patches like "if you can read this, the bitch fell off the back" etc.) And, of course, he's grown a beard. Has failed the test to move up from permit to full endorsement 3x that I know of.

Don't get me wrong: nice guy. He's just stuck in this midlife-crisis "I'm a biker-dude now!" thing. I frankly worry about his (and others) safety: I've even offered to go do the BRC with him, but no dice.

Point is... he drives a Prius.

Not that there's anything wrong with that (but I do find it funny).

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Don't get me wrong: nice guy. He's just stuck in this midlife-crisis "I'm a biker-dude now!" thing. I frankly worry about his (and others) safety: I've even offered to go do the BRC with him, but no dice.

Point is... he drives a Prius.

Not that there's anything wrong with that

is this joe?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts