Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was one of those days that make me realize why I enjoy being part of this forum. lesblank volunteered some of his time and mechanical expertise to get the Kuryakyn rear boards installed on the Stratoliner. He has that 'just an enthusiast helping out another enthusiast' attitude and it was great getting to know him in person.

When I got the bike home my wife took a look at the new boards and off we went for a nice ride west of Houston. She is very impressed with the boards and the difference in riding comfort as compared to pegs.

I was part of a different forum when I owned my last bike and it sort of self-imploded because of personal beefs. This forum has been great and I'm looking forward to meeting more folks, getting some technical help, hitting the roads with some fellow riders, chuckling at the jokes - even the groaners, and feeling engaged.

Thanks again to lesblank.

Have fun, y'all. :grin:

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed helping you out with the project. Now when I make an insinuation about me being short, skinny, bald and old you can laugh at me. Glad your wife liked the floorboards. A better seat for the wife and tourpack you talked about would be nice. I'm partial to Ultimate Seats. Many folks here have added a tourpacks and like them. The batwing fairing you were also talking about would also be a nice addition. Keith Post has added both to his 950 and maybe he'll chime in. By the way, your height doesn't make that Strat look all that big, you looked good on it.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Yes, it's too bad we all didn't live closer so we could meet up and go riding. One of these years I'll try to make the meet and greet but it won't be this year.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way, your height doesn't make that Strat look all that big, you looked good on it.
Ha! Mostly I think it is my girth that diminishes the size of the Strat. We pulled in to get gas and somebody yelled, 'Hey, look at that Fat Boy'. I was sure there must have been a Harley at one of the pumps. Dammit. :|

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
Hey, I didn't say anything about girth, I said height. But then everyone looks big and tall to me. 😂😀😀

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless I’m sleeping on a California King (6” longer than regular King) my feet hang off the end of the bed!
For some reason, I have a nephew who is somewhere between 6' 7" and 6' 8" depending on the phase of the moon. Nobody else in the family is even close. He looks like his brother who is about 5' 10" so they are pretty sure there was no milk man involved. He has talked about the struggle of finding a good bed. Not something I've ever felt was a challenge.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back to bikes for a moment, one of the big differences I have noticed between the Stratoliner and my Suzuki Volusia is power. Duh. With the Volusia I was up to 5th gear by about 45 miles per hour (that is around 14,400 Rods per hour) and hour and 2-up cruising was really comfortable at about 55 mph (18.33 leagues/hour). (Aren't units of measure fun?)

With the Stratoliner, 4th gear gets me to comfortable cruising at 65 mph riding 2-up and in 5th it feels like it is loafing at that speed. And the amount of torque available in any gear is pretty cool. I would imagine all you folks out there with the Star Ventures and Eluders are having the same sort of experience. And I believe you have a 6th gear. When do you shift into 6th, Warp 3?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Back to bikes for a moment, one of the big differences I have noticed between the Stratoliner and my Suzuki Volusia is power. Duh. With the Volusia I was up to 5th gear by about 45 miles per hour (that is around 14,400 Rods per hour) and hour and 2-up cruising was really comfortable at about 55 mph (18.33 leagues/hour). (Aren't units of measure fun?)

With the Stratoliner, 4th gear gets me to comfortable cruising at 65 mph riding 2-up and in 5th it feels like it is loafing at that speed. And the amount of torque available in any gear is pretty cool. I would imagine all you folks out there with the Star Ventures and Eluders are having the same sort of experience. And I believe you have a 6th gear. When do you shift into 6th, Warp 3?
Units of measure fun? If there are 2000 leagues under the sea 18.33 doesn't seem very significant. And what is the fun in lining up 14,400 pretzel rod in a row just to see how may you can pass in an hour. Some of are amused easier than others i guess.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Units of measure fun? If there are 2000 leagues under the sea 18.33 doesn't seem very significant. And what is the fun in lining up 14,400 pretzel rod in a row just to see how may you can pass in an hour. Some of are amused easier than others i guess.
I've decided there are two types of people in the world best described as Jeopardy contestants.

There are the folks who introduce themselves as nuclear physicists who, in their spare time, enjoy writing poetry in Sanskrit, scaling mountains, cloning more and more complex organisms, and memorizing the complete works of Shakespeare.

And then there are people like me who don't get through their introduction because they are distracted by some small, shiny object in the Jeopardy studio. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I've decided there are two types of people in the world best described as Jeopardy contestants.

There are the folks who introduce themselves as nuclear physicists who, in their spare time, enjoy writing poetry in Sanskrit, scaling mountains, cloning more and more complex organisms, and memorizing the complete works of Shakespeare.

And then there are people like me who don't get through their introduction because they are distracted by some small, shiny object in the Jeopardy studio. :nerd:
Exactly.I didn't get past 2 types of .............

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
Les has been a true blessing for us and has a great sense of humor. I’m encouraged by members that go the extra mile in helping another member. It’s why I’m involved with this forum. I look forward to seeing the posts and what everyone is doing. We may not agree with one another on various topics, yet we can respect one another for their opinions. I can’t wait to meet him and Carla in September.
On the reference to the fairing on my 950, it’s a Memphis Shades brand and came with the quick disconnect brackets. Biker Haven out of Bentonville , Arkansas is the place I purchased it from. Big difference from the windshield in my opinion. It gave my bike a total different look and cured most of my buffeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
there are 0010 types of people
those who can read binary...

people complain often that vstar bikes are undergeared, the engine revs too fast at 70 mph

my VS650 5th gear is a slight overdrive, something like 1 : 0.906?

but the royal star and V4 royal start ventures have 4th gear about the same as 5th on the 650

and 5th gear is a steep overdrive: 1 : 0.75

if you hit 5th gear before 55mph you are lugging the engine

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I agree with Keith. I wish i had more knowledge to help. But i will stay out of the way and let others help and learn in the process. I do all the work on my bike with help from other people like the people here. It has been 10 years since i had a bike with carbs.I will interject some of my whit for some laughs though. If any one is ever i am sorry i never mean to offend any one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts