Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took this quick snap of the bikes parked in our yard after returning home from two very scenic and relaxing rides around Fogo Island today. (was out for about 1.5 hours on each bike) The weather was picture-perfect... straight sunshine, no wind, and 25 degrees. (77F)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jeez, the Missus and I had complained for all of May and June about how it was always so cold... now it's too [email protected] hot! (and of course today there was not so much as a hint of a breeze) I mean, even way up here in Northern No-Man's Land (aka Newfoundland) it's been so bloody hot/humid that you just can't stand it! Our lawn guy came over today, and before he was even a quarter way done mowing the lawn, he was definitely suffering from heat stroke... to the point that I was quite certain we were going to have to have him transported to the hospital STAT!. As I type this post at about 10:30PM our time, the temperature inside our home is still a crazy 32 degrees! (90F) Holy [email protected], as much as I love to ride at every opportunity, particularly as we experience such short summers, there's just no way that either of us can ride in this. With the humidex value factored in, (was 80% humidity today) it felt like 40+ degrees! (104+F) Now, our southern neighbors, especially those who reside in the lower half of their fine country, are most likely pretty accustomed to riding in intense heat, but for us usually-frozen Newfoundlanders who still had snow falling regularly throughout May... and yes, we even had snow falling at the end of June for God's sake... this amounts to sheer torture!

My wife and I prefer to keep ourselves as well-protected as possible while out on our rides, (so at an absolute minimum, thick leather riding jacket, armoured leather riding gloves, leather riding boots, DOT/SNELL-rated helmet) so with all of this heavy gear on, we have learned that it is just not much fun at these extreme temperatures/humidity. So here's hoping that the weather man is dead wrong about the rest of the week, because it's looking like we'll be getting more of the same for many days to come. Sure, if we didn't have such ridiculously high humidity levels here at the ocean's edge, days in the low 30's(C) range would be acceptable. But as the saying goes, "it's not the heat, it's the humidity". No kidding

Tomorrow I will be putting my big boy pants on, will suck it up, and go for a ride!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Glenn, it was 90F sat and sun this last weekend in upstate NY. I have mesh riding gear and get good air flow while Im riding, but if I have to stop in traffic or at a long light... its like punishment.

when its really oppressive I can still get a few hours riding in the evening, take off maybe 8pm and its not completely dark till 10.

Its also easy to get suckered into a long ride here if you take off early in the morning: 60F at sunrise... then a few hours later its 80F and climbing. Then the sun is beating down on you and you have a long ride back home.

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
I feel for you bc, and I definitely understand. It’s been very hot and humid here in the mountains. When I’m at work it’s sunny and hot, on my days off it’s stormy and extremely humid, way above normal for here. When I do get a short ride in, it’s either ride early in the day or late in the evening. Now im looking forward to the fall season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts