Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks. I'll be getting a valve clearance check and throttle body synch as soon as I can ride again next year. Hopefully late March early April but in MN who knows....

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll be getting a valve clearance check and throttle body sync as soon as I can ride again next year. Hopefully late March early April but in MN who knows....
You might want to try doing a valve clearance check yourself. Not very involved...and you save at least 2 hours of labor! What you will save in the throttle body sync, (labor) will pay for any and all equipment you might not already have. The secret, is taking your time, understand the 'next step' and a tip...take pictures with your phone of every step...before you remove one screw or bolt...snap, snap snap...with each thing coming off...and just then reverse your pictures, and follow your own 'picture' bread crumbs...right back to the last screw or bolt, back to full assembly.

You can't go wrong! Then, once you have done it, the next time (every 10,000 to 16,000 miles for the valve clearance check) it will be like second nature. Don't be scared or intimidated...and you won't be, if as soon as you take off a part, you snap a picture of the parts, and where they came off of... You will do great...and have great satisfaction that it was done right...BY YOU!

:)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah, umm...that all sounds great but I have mechanical "limitations". Severe limitations. I'm mechanically retarded so to speak. I keep thinking to myself "Hey! I can do that". In most instances I was wrong. I bought a multimeter tool over the summer. I keep picking it up and wondering what I'm looking at. I'll change my own oil, filter and plugs but I've even screwed that up. I wish I were not "disadvantaged" but it's good to know your own impediments. It may sound like I'm being hard on myself but my shortcomings are amusing. At least my wife thinks so. If I ever get to retire I'd like to take a motorcycle repair course at the community college. I'll probably burn the shop down.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, umm...that all sounds great but I have mechanical "limitations". Severe limitations. I'm mechanically retarded so to speak. I keep thinking to myself "Hey! I can do that". In most instances I was wrong. I bought a multimeter tool over the summer. I keep picking it up and wondering what I'm looking at. I'll change my own oil, filter and plugs but I've even screwed that up. I wish I were not "disadvantaged" but it's good to know your own impediments. It may sound like I'm being hard on myself but my shortcomings are amusing. At least my wife thinks so. If I ever get to retire I'd like to take a motorcycle repair course at the community college. I'll probably burn the shop down.
I bet you...Mr Highwayman....that if I took my first picture WITH YOUR PHONE, lol...of the bike before a tool is taken to it....and then, I lay out, on the other side of the garage, a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 inch plywood....and then....I take a close up of the area where my first screws or bolts are coming off...with them still installed, and then...I remove them...and place them in a baggie, labelled picture 2. on the top left corner of the 4x8....labelled with a magic marker, and the number 2 below the circle. I then take a snapshot of the second set of what needs to be taken off, put them in a baggie, label that picture 3, put that baggie on the 4x8 to the right of circle (with baggy in it 2) and on,....and on....to make a story board of parts...all kept together....and all references the order of pictures you took.

Then...I would ask you to look at picture 22...and then picture 21...so you can see where those parts were in picture 21, still attached originally to the bike, and then picture 22, where you need to place them back....and Mr. Highwayman...you would...being guided by two pictures for each baggie of parts...all kept separate and ready to be reinstalled where (your pictures show you..they go)

You could do that, no sweat. That is how I learned myself....in taking anything apart...I created a picture (back then...it was Kodak Instamatic!) process storybook...and had all the parts...grouped in baggies, and labelled to the picture sequence. Gawd...it was as easy as cake, to rebuild whatever I had taken apart...garden equipment, hand-held equipment....took the whole lawnmower motor apart...put it back together....as easy as looking at two pics....and merely placing the parts back in reverse sequence of pics taken.

Try this....go out an get a second hand garage sale lawnmower....try my system....take the entire lawnmower engine apart over the winter...out in your garage....do it exactly as I suggest...and then, trust me...you will feel like King Kong...when you see the pictorial method work...and that lawnmower, is sitting there, as it was, before you 'bagged' the parts...(post edit: If a part (or parts) won't fit into any size 'baggy' product, then merely use what ever larger bag, shopping, garbage, you get the idea...to host them. LABEL EVERYTHING! with stickers, on the bag, not each part...Picture set 21/22....for my system allows one's that don't have a photographic or 'natural sense' of mechanics and part relationships. If you don't want to spring for the 1/4 inch 4x8 parts placement and sequence 'story board'.....just replace it with something similar in cardboard....so you can create the magic marker circles that the baggie will rest within, with clearly marked sequence and picture information. Easy Peasy!

Try it...seriously...and I guarantee you.....you will save $$$$$$$$'s doing your valve check and adjustment...and sync those two throttle body puppies....

I'm being serious here....try the picture and labelled baggie method on something you would have never even given a thought to dissemble......and afterwards, you can thank me later....:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts