Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....

Just a couple of newbie questions

1. Can you recommend a proper horn which is loud and deep....I really don't like the factory one...if possible something chrome would be better...

2. Would you expect the belt to loosen up in the first 600miles of riding or so....I am asking so that I can look out for looseness and adjust accordingly. At the moment slack seems to beon the loose side of factory specs and I have ordered the tool to do it properly....

R.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry all
....wrong forum...my bike is the xvs950....can one of the mods move it please...don't know how

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have used the Wolo Bad Boy horn on all 3 of my bikes. Definitely a loud horn and not overly pricey. I have the black
version on my Strat and I got it from Auto Zone for $40. Not sure if they still make the chrome version?? May find it cheaper on eBay or Amazon. Comes with a relay and is easy to install and wire. I used the wires that went to the oem horn to trigger the relay so you can use the stock horn button. Make sure you use the relay or you can burn out your stock horn wires/button.

http://www.autozone.com/safety-and-security/horn/wolo-two-times-louder-dual-tone-air-horn/831595_0_0/?checkfit=true

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
How are these mounted on your bike or does one fit where the stock one was? Thanks!

Bill
I used the existing front horn mount and added a 1/2" wide modified L shaped (shelf) bracket to support the weight of the horn on the bottom. The long part of the L bracket is the length of the horn then bends under the horn for support. I attached this to the closest OEM horn mount hole and also attached to the horn attachment.

If you're looking to spend the money, Kuryakyn makes a slick mounting set up that attaches to the down tube and has a chrome cover. A bit over priced but Kuryakyn quality.

Super Deluxe Wolo® Bad Boy? Horn Kit | Horn Covers & Horns | Covers, Trims & Accents | Kuryakyn

·
Registered
100 Posts
I put a Bad Boy from Harbor Freight on my 650 as one of the first things I did. I couldn't have a horn you couldn't hear over the exhaust. The new horn is scary loud.

I originally mounted it where the stock horn was, but the fender rubbed it on big bumps so I made a mount and put it on the right side next too and in front of the breather cover. Looks good there as well.

I say the same about hooking the horn up thru a relay as you will burn up your original horn button if you don't. Do not hook the horn directly too the button, it may work for a little bit, but will burn the button up quickly.

·
Administrator
13,271 Posts
this forum is fine for your thread.
the 950 belts are notorious for being over-tightened from the factory, or having factory specs that are too tight. the service manual recommends 3-5mm of slack at 10lbf, but i recommend giving it about 7 or 8mm of slack or 'travel' and i've seen other 950 owners recommend the same. if you are in need of the service manual, shoot me your email.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dear Bevo,

many thanks for your reply....most helpful. I am very much still within the running in period for the bike (only 300 miles from new). I have ordered the belt adjustment tool to make sure I know what I am doing but it seems to me that

1. belt tension (using my hands and imagining I am holding 10lbs of water with my 2 fingers...very unscientific :):):)) seems to be around the 5-7mm mark.
2. the belt is loosening up as I run the bike...I can definitely feel a difference from the bike as new. I therefore thought of waiting another 2-300 miles before doing a belt adjustment to give the time for it to "settle in"
3. do people change the exhaust gasket when changing belt tension (manual states you remove the slipon exhaust so that you can torque up the wheel axle)

many thanks for your helpful reply

R.

·
Administrator
13,271 Posts
i have aftermarket pipes but i don't have to do anything to them when adjusting belt tension, just loosening the axle nut and adjusting the screws at the end of the swing arms. certainly don't change out the gaskets if you're not having to take your exhaust off. i would just advise that you mark exactly which setting your swing arms are at before you begin.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry to be dumb....but how to do you torque up your axle nut to the correct torque?? how do you manage to fit it in...??

·
Administrator
13,271 Posts
use a torque wrench. if you don't have one, buy one or borrow one. you do NOT want to mess around with guessing the torque on your axle. a buddy of mine did that a couple years ago and ended up shearing the bearings inside and had to cut the axle to get the wheel off. huge nightmare.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agreed 100%...there is no doubt that a torque wrench needs to be used...I have one no problem but that is why you need to remove the exhaust....socket and wrench dont fit otherwise??

·
Registered
418 Posts
There is a slip gasket that normally stays in the muffler portion of the exhaust when disassembled. Caution should be used to not damage it. The gasket is inside the muffler neck where the band clamp is located.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts