Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the intermittent speedometer issue & tried the fix with the unit in the fuel tank but it didn't work. I've read that the issue is then attributed to the speed sensor. So my question is this: will a speed sensor from a 2007 XV1700 work on a 2000 XV1600?

The reason I'm asking is because I found a used one for the 1700 and I am hesitant to call the dealer on one for the 1600 because I have a feeling the dealer price will be through the freaking roof!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The intermittent issue where it sometimes works & sometimes doesn't. Also the odometer, trip meters & fuel gauge. The fix is taking the unit out of the fuel tank, bending some contact prongs & cleaning the contacts. You can find all that by googling. I'm no my phone so I can't provide much more now.

Anyway, I swapped speedos with my buddy & mine works on his but his doesn't work on mine. So it's likely the sensor.

Sent from my LG Motion, but not while riding!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
24 Posts
the speed sensor only works when the bike is in 5th gear. i would take a look at the plug under the speedo cover. make sure all connections are good. Electrical spray to clean the plugs on the electrical connections might help. www.VSOC-eastanglia.org.uk/xv1600.pdf this is the service manual for a 99 R* Hope this helps out. Dee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts