Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my first long ride on my 06 liner almost left me crippled. I had a sharp pain between the shoulder blades the was killing me. I immediately started some research and ordered two items. A grasshopper backrest and baron risers. After considering my options, these items seemd the most cost effective way to make a change.

Grasshopper backrest: Exactly what it claims to be. It was easy to install. It is easy to take on and off (less than 5 seconds). It provides lumbar support and seems sturdy. It does not bend. It is not adjustable. Without the risers, I did find that the back support was minimal because I was still bent over reaching for the bars.

Baron risers: Exactly what it claims to be. Installation was a little over an hour, but with the lessons learned I could do it a second time in under a half hour. Bars are a little higher and pulled back. I now sit more upright.

With the combination of the risers and the back rest, I now sit more upright. This new position allows the back rest to provide with i think is just about the right amount of lumbar support.

I took another long ride and my a$$ started hurting on the stock seat after about 100 mi. Now I will address this issue. Before considering an expensive option, I ordered a set of highway pegs from Steve at tippcyclespecialties.com. I'm hoping that being able to change positions in the seat by using the highway pegs will help. I'll give a more detailed report once they are installed and I have ridden another few hundred miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I originally inteded to replace the bars as I was really having to lean forward, but between the cost of the bars, cables and installation, the risers seemed to be a much more affordable option. The risers seem to pull the bars back just enough. I am still considering repacing the bars down the road, but no more back ache so I will leave it at "good enough for now".

·
Registered
7 Posts
seat pain

I had similar issues with my 03 roadstar. I got a potato chip seat from pacific coast star, and that dropped me down about 3 inches, so I feel like part of the bike, and not just sitting on top of it.

my bike is currently for sale so i can move up to a strat...

Here is a link to a picture so you can see how the seat looks.
And I stretched the tank, but that has nothing to do with this.

The seat will allow you to sit higher. If I remember correctly with a deposit, they sent me out a seat to try for a few days to see if I liked it. Then they did a core trade with me on my stock seat.

Chuck
here is the link with the picture, hope it helps.
http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/1770191066.html

·
Registered
75 Posts
Knee replacement == go to Stratoliner?

I had similar issues with my 03 roadstar. I got a potato chip seat from pacific coast star, and that dropped me down about 3 inches, so I feel like part of the bike, and not just sitting on top of it.

my bike is currently for sale so i can move up to a strat...

Here is a link to a picture so you can see how the seat looks.
And I stretched the tank, but that has nothing to do with this.

The seat will allow you to sit higher. If I remember correctly with a deposit, they sent me out a seat to try for a few days to see if I liked it. Then they did a core trade with me on my stock seat.

Chuck
here is the link with the picture, hope it helps.
http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/1770191066.html
Before I got my 06 Stratoliner S I had a 2001 Roadstar Silverado. If you had to give it up because of your knees, going to the Stratoliner is not going to help. If anything, the difference in rider position and seat height will put even more on your knees than the Roadstar did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.