Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
VStar 1100 Classic
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So that's a job I don't want to repeat.
Converted a VStar American import to take European GSXR controls.
Had to modify the wiring loom to get the light and passing switch to work.
Then routed all the cables in using original cleaned up fittings where possible with Venhill cables.
Pretty pleased with the end result.
(The yellow background was only because photos don't show up well with my garage as a background, last photo)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,230 Posts
Congrats on getting it done. Full left to right handlebar swing without clutch or brake hose being in a bind? Have you had a chance to ride it yet?

Reactions: Munki

·
Registered
VStar 1100 Classic
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on getting it done. Full left to right handlebar swing without clutch or brake hose being in a bind? Have you had a chance to ride it yet?
It's still in pieces as I'm doing a major overhaul on a bike that had been bobbed already.
I think they saw a picture of a bobber 15 years ago and were trying to recreate it from memory.
The horrors I have found in the wiring will keep me busy for another few months.
In answer to your original point.
I measured the cables on full right hand lock then routed them as per the service manual.
I pinned them back to where they will be after the rebuild and tried them at full rotation watching for tight spots or pulling.
Everything seems to be free and clear so hopefully I'm good.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,230 Posts
Good to hear about full swing and no pulls. Unfortunately many have done hours or work only to realize cables are too tight. Hopefully you will be road worthy soon.

Reactions: Munki and GARider

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
931 Posts
Have you converted to a 22mm handlebars as well?

·
Registered
VStar 1100 Classic
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to hear about full swing and no pulls. Unfortunately many have done hours or work only to realize cables are too tight. Hopefully you will be road worthy soon.
It's going to be a while unfortunately.
This is a major fix er upper and I'm only progressing as far as funds will allow each month.
In the UK if it has VStar (Dragstar) as a part name you can double the price if not more.
That being said I'm not complaining.
I'm loving doing the work myself and learning about the bike.
Luckily my wife is totally on board and spends her time sourcing parts and materials for me.
I'm quite confident about the cables though.
As the saying goes "this isn't my first rodeo".
It is however my first V Twin custom.
I've spent 20 years on racing bikes and Street Fighters.

Have you converted to a 22mm handlebars as well?
I have but I kept the original levers by using shims I got from a bycicle site

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good job. I did internal wiring on my VStar 1100 with an aftermarket clubman handlebar and dog bone risers so I can appreciate the work you put in. Well worth it though, right?
(y)

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,629 Posts
Cool, I enjoy watching a puzzle put together.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just out of curiousity, do you have the throttle othe right or the left? I ask this because of an episode of "Happy Days" where Fonzi got a guy accused of a 'snatch-and-grab' acquitted because the guy was riding a British bike (I don't recall the make), and the perpetrator had 'grabbed' with his right hand. (Said acquitted suspect later told Fonzi that he had converted the controls to the more common American setup, shortly after he bought the bike (I don't know if the bike had been bought in GB and shipped, or if it was imported).

·
Registered
VStar 1100 Classic
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just out of curiousity, do you have the throttle othe right or the left? I ask this because of an episode of "Happy Days" where Fonzi got a guy accused of a 'snatch-and-grab' acquitted because the guy was riding a British bike (I don't recall the make), and the perpetrator had 'grabbed' with his right hand. (Said acquitted suspect later told Fonzi that he had converted the controls to the more common American setup, shortly after he bought the bike (I don't know if the bike had been bought in GB and shipped, or if it was imported).
It's on the right like all bikes now.
I believe old Brit made bikes did have the throttle on the left but I'd have to Google it.
I know the gear shift setup was reversed, ie 1 up and the rest down.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
On the Harley Sportster 1974 and older the shifter was on the right,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts