Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adding a 12V or USB charge outlet straight to the battery is a relatively easy task. However, I'd like to have this outlet on a keyed circuit so it's only active when the ignition is on.

Has anyone seen any instructions specific to the V Star for this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just purchased a kit for my bike, I was going to take the power off the front running lights (connections in the headlight) but held back. In thinking about it, I dont think a cell phone or GPS will draw enough to blow a fuse or dim the lights, I held back in order to study the bikes electrical system.
When I added one to my KLR I set up a small relay on the running lights that would turn on the power port when the ignition was on. I could then take the power directly off the battery through the relay and inline fuse, later on I added heated grips and made use of the same relay, that way I could be sure they would turn off when the bike was off.
When I figure something out I will post again. Interested in hearing how others are wiring in power ports.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You're pretty much there, Vstarlindy. The switch portion of a 12v relay consumes very low power, while the real current to drive your accessories comes right off the battery. A typical Bosch relay will handle as much power as you'll reasonably expect any accessory to safely draw from the electrical system.

This article is not specific to the VStar, but it doesn't really need to be. You just have to tap into a circuit that's already switched, and your running light is a great candidate.

http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html

·
Registered
45 Posts
You're pretty much there, Vstarlindy. The switch portion of a 12v relay consumes very low power, while the real current to drive your accessories comes right off the battery. A typical Bosch relay will handle as much power as you'll reasonably expect any accessory to safely draw from the electrical system.

This article is not specific to the VStar, but it doesn't really need to be. You just have to tap into a circuit that's already switched, and your running light is a great candidate.

http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html

Excellent picture, thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts