Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What voltage is the throttle position sensor supposed to be set at? Do you increase voltage to richen or lean out the fuel mixture? We were talking with a guy at a a local bike night at Quaker Steak and he mentioned about adjusting the throttle position senor to give a little more performance similar to what the mustang guys do. Our daughter is saying her exhaust is really hot. I was thinking about tweaking the throttle position sensor to see if it would help before she buys a programmer. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
what bike does your daughter have?

when the exhaust is hot that is an indication the engine is running rich, un-burned fuel is blowing out the exhaust and burning in the pipe

when an engine is running lean its hot in the combustion chamber, and it will rainbow the exhaust pipe right by the head, but not all the way thru the muffler or tailpipe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Daughters bike is a Bolt. The exhaust is painted black so there is no rainbow effect that can be seen. I haven't taken it out to see what she is talking about.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
changing the throttle position sensor on a fuel injected bike might have unintended effects

it might also alter the spark advance

and if you change it, the ECM would never detect the fully closed, or maybe the fully open position - it could really confuse the fuel injection system and cause it to do weird things.

If the bike is not running right a full tuneup is a good place to start

and one thing these bikes are very sensitive to, is a dirty air filter. Both carb'd and fuel injected bikes do not have the ability to adjust to changes in the airflow in or out of the cylinders. When the air filter becomes dirty the engine runs rich, like its being choked for air.

I was surprised how putting a new air filter on my 650 brought it back to life - if its not white like paper, its time to replace it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts