Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's cold out with snow and ice on the ground. This is the time when I find myself wandering into every nearby motorcycle dealer. (It doesn't hurt to look, right?) Don't worry, I'm not trading my V Star 950; I love it way too much. But I will say that I wouldn't mind owning multiple bikes.

I think it would be awesome to have a dual sport, something that could soak up rough terrain. This past summer found me wandering down dirt roads up in New Hampshire and Vermont.

Anyway, I got to throw a leg over the new Africa Twin yesterday. I must say it was quite nice. Reminded me of the BMW GS800 that I've drooled over.

It seems hard to find used dual sports around here. But I think when I can eventually afford a second bike I'd love to find a used DRZ400.

How about you all? Anyone here own a bike you like to take off road?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would love to have a dual sport, but I don't have much time to just ride as it is. I can't justify getting one, but if I find a bag of money...

·
Registered
31 Posts
My previous bike was a Honda NC700x. I loved it. It wasnt really an off road bike, but it has high clearance and the seating position was perfect. It was a nimble little bike. With the right tires on it, it could easily do gravel/dirt roads.

To bad some dummy pulled out in front of me and totaled it. I miss that bike. It was fun to ride.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My previous bike was a Honda NC700x. I loved it. It wasnt really an off road bike, but it has high clearance and the seating position was perfect. It was a nimble little bike. With the right tires on it, it could easily do gravel/dirt roads.

To bad some dummy pulled out in front of me and totaled it. I miss that bike. It was fun to ride.
I think they came out with a new of road worthy 500cc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've got a Kawie KLR 650 that I explore the back country with. It is solid and reliable ,and a real pack mule. My buddy and I rode the pony express trail from Lehi Ut. to Austin Nv. last year. Fantastic country!! We rode 1350 miles in 6 days, camped out all but one. Dual sports are great, get you one!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I got really spoiled riding my IT175 (only took my helmet off to get a photo on this ONE jump).

I had a plate on this bike for a few years - it wasnt really street legal, it had full knobbies and an off road headlight/tail light, no turn signals, horn, mirrors...

But if I was going to get a bike for dirt roads it would either have to be relegated to 'puttering' around, or I would lean heavily towards the dirt side of the equation.

When I say off road, I mean OFF the road!

BTW, I sold that bike almost 20 years ago.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I got to ride an Africa Twin on a test ride. Very comfortable. Tons of clearance. It was the manual trans so I did not get to test the DCT modes on the automatic one. Except for the spoked wheels I would have one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts