Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2006 Stratoliner S as a replacement for my Suzuki C50. The bike will be my daily commuter to work, mainly on expressways, and the bigger bike makes the highway miles easier. The bike I'm looking at has 3,000 miles and looks well-maintained. After reading some of the threads on this forum now I am a little spooked because of the 3rd gear failures and stalling. What's the general consensus on 06/07 models? Would you buy one for daily transportation? Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am looking at a 2006 Stratoliner S as a replacement for my Suzuki C50. The bike will be my daily commuter to work, mainly on expressways, and the bigger bike makes the highway miles easier. The bike I'm looking at has 3,000 miles and looks well-maintained. After reading some of the threads on this forum now I am a little spooked because of the 3rd gear failures and stalling. What's the general consensus on 06/07 models? Would you buy one for daily transportation? Thanks for your thoughts.
Hi Kindredspirit, I just traded my 96 Corvette for a 2006 Roadliner with 3200 miles. I rode the bike home for 150 miles with no issues.
I just turned over 500 miles in the last 2 weeks and this has to be one of the best motorcycles I have ever ridden. I've owned several Harleys over the last few years including a Roadking, Electraglide, and a Heritage Softail(TC). The Heritage was the worst as far as comfort level, as far as the ride goes, I would say that the Roadliner is on par with the Electraglide(TC) and Roadking(Evo). The power though, blows the HDs away. I have a little cough once in a while and it seems to originate in the exhaust. it's not bothersome and I have never stalled the bike. I've never ridden a C50 so I can't compare. I have felt or heard any weird noises from the tranny and for an aircooled push rod engine it's a lot quiter than my HDs.
The only drawback is the fuel consumption, but this is just a toy for me so I don't care. Good luck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have over 45K on my 07 with no problems but you can get much newer bikes for the same money with lots of extras if you look around.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a like new 2009 Stratoliner (with 9 months of factory warranty left) for the very reason you mention.........the possible 3rd gear issue. I am sure the vast majority of the 06-07 Liners will never have a problem, but if it is your out of warranty 06-07 bike with the problem it involves big $$$$$ to fix.

That said..........I like the 09 Stratoliner very much and it is a fun bike to ride. It has enough wind protection and luggage capacity to be a good commuter bike----------marginal gas mileage at 35-40mpg, but it is just for messing around for me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I bought a like new 2009 Stratoliner (with 9 months of factory warranty left) for the very reason you mention.........the possible 3rd gear issue. I am sure the vast majority of the 06-07 Liners will never have a problem, but if it is your out of warranty 06-07 bike with the problem it involves big $$$$$ to fix.

That said..........I like the 09 Stratoliner very much and it is a fun bike to ride. It has enough wind protection and luggage capacity to be a good commuter bike----------marginal gas mileage for at 35-40mpg, but it is just for messing around for me.
I have heard of only a couple of 07s with the problem and I have warranty till the middle of 2013 so I do not worry about the bike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have heard of only a couple of 07s with the problem and I have warranty till the middle of 2013 so I do not worry about the bike.
I agree with you + the warranty on your bike until 2013. I did not want to take the chance on an out of warranty bike. I looked at and rode a near perfect 2007 Roadliner S, but passed on it from the threads I read about documented 3rd gear problems on a few bikes. My local Yamaha dealer confirmed the problem when I asked him about it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I agree with you + the warranty on your bike until 2013. I did not want to take the chance on an out of warranty bike. I looked at and rode a near perfect 2007 Roadliner S, but passed on it from the threads I read about documented 3rd gear problems on a few bikes. My local Yamaha dealer confirmed the problem when I asked him about it.
I'am glad to hear that a dealer said they had heard of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems like few bikes are affected but if it happens it is big $. The engine cutting out problem doesn't even seem to be completely diagnosed. My local Yamah dealer is owned by a straight up guy. I'll ask about it. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Don't know what your paying for the 06, but there are killer deals on leftover 09's and I assume 10's as well. I was dealing with two different dealers, in NC and FL for the 09.
I recently purchased leftover 09 for well under 10 grand asking price.
Traded my Kaw Nomad (43K miles) for over 1K more than anybody else would give me on trade including Victory.
Have only put 900 miles on it. Been spending most of my time adding mods. So far, love the bike.....especially the ride and power.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have an 07 with 12,500 miles no issues at all. Best bike I have ever owned and ridden.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The truth be told

As an owner of a 07 Strat S i would tell you this. I love my bike. I hate my bike. it is on the second third gear replacement. i think they put the original gear in it the first time and it failed again. To be totally honest with you. if i were to start all over again and knew what i know now (and what you know now) i would avoid the 06 - 07 bikes like the plague. Why take a chance at all? if you are going to spend the money for a nice bike that will go for years and years get an 08 or newer bike and you won't ever have to worry. to tear the bike apart to get to the trans is no small matter. when i saw it the first time i was just bummed. the bike literally had almost every bolt taken out/loosened up. the only thing untouched was the front fork. all the floor boards, horn, coils everything was taken off to get the motor out. after that i live in fear of everything loosening up and falling off like a Harley (J/K) they did a great job of putting it back together the first time but the more you do this the worse its going to get. not to mention i got to look at the motor laying there with it's guts hanging out and all the parts laying in a pile. you don't want to take the chance. it will be off warranty and it will cost you a bundle if you can't get Yamaha or our dealer to back you up. i think Yamaha is ready to fix it but some of the dealers out there sound pretty lousy. again why put yourself through this if you don't have to. there are plenty of 08 bikes that are getting very reasonable in price. if i sold my bike and bought another 07 i would always worry in the back of my mind. make sure you start out on the right foot from the git go and save yourself some worry. if you were getting it for REAL cheap then you can possible think of it as a disposable bike and then it wont hurt so bad when you junk it out/sell it for parts on ebay. i hate to say this as i am killing the resale value of the 06-07 bikes if people knew this as common knowledge. I do love my bike and don't want to get rid of it. i will tough it out and see if the new gear holds up. i really do want a Strat delux though and might think of selling it after the repair. i will have to wait and see. just be smart and get a newer one than 07.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would look for a new non-current model year bike. I paid $10,400 a couple months ago for an 09 leftover, which originally went for $15k. As far as a commuter bike, I traded in an 07 V-Star 1100 Classic which would be a great bike for that. Good power and handling, plus 48 mpg just cruising.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I recently bought a new '08 Strat Midnight for $10,400 OTD (about $9400 before tax & license). I had not ever heard about the '06/'07 issue until reading about it here, so glad that I have an '08 (as long as ALL '08 models are clear of this issue for sure). I use mine for commuting 20 miles one-way and so far love it, but honestly feel it could use a 6th gear at 70+. I just got it broke-in and have about 900 miles so far (had 8 when I got it) and just changed the engine oil and transfer case oil at 700 miles. Last fill-up I got just a touch over 37 MPG, which isn't bad, considering it's a 113 CI engine. Depends on what you are looking for, but so far I am really happy with mine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also picked up a 08 strat midnight. Had 3000 mile on it and lots of options for 8500. Lots and lots of deals out there, I had to go to Dallas for this one (approx 240miles) but it was worth it.
Happy hunting!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talk about helpful. You guys are great. TheBrain - your comments are especially persuasive. Why take the risk, if, as others point out, there are great deals to be had on 2008 and later models. My home state of CA is a pain, in that out-of-state bikes must have 7500 miles or else they cannot be registered. But I'm sure that there are deals within the state. I'll go hunting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
O7 owner

I've had my 2007 Stratoliner for 2 years and have no problems. It is a powerful, fun and reliable bike. I have enjoyed it's handling and it works well both on twisty 2 lanes as well as the expressway. It's been a great bike for me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Good luck

Talk about helpful. You guys are great. TheBrain - your comments are especially persuasive. Why take the risk, if, as others point out, there are great deals to be had on 2008 and later models. My home state of CA is a pain, in that out-of-state bikes must have 7500 miles or else they cannot be registered. But I'm sure that there are deals within the state. I'll go hunting.
Cali has funny rules. i HOPE YOU FIND A GOOD BIKE. I think if you get a newer bike you will be so happy you will roll on the ground laughing. Safe in the knowledge you won't need to go thru my hell. Make sure you post what you have purchased.

·
Registered
396 Posts
How many miles on your bike.

I've had my 2007 Stratoliner for 2 years and have no problems. It is a powerful, fun and reliable bike. I have enjoyed it's handling and it works well both on twisty 2 lanes as well as the expressway. It's been a great bike for me.
I am curious how many miles you have on your bike. it seems the gear goes to heck around 20,000 mi. if you only put 2000 mi a year on your bike then your good for 10 years, if you average 10,000 mi a year like i do then your good for about 2 years. it is not good to recommend something to someone based off of "I've had my 2007 Stratoliner for 2 years and have no problems." yet you only have 1500 miles on it. I don't mean to disrespect what you are saying i am just trying to make a point. it is the amount of wear (miles) and use (easy/hard driving) that will determine if and when the gear will fail. it may never fail. i think there are a lot of factors that determine this. i just think that we need to be more specific on details if we are going to recommend something to someone who is going to spend a good chunk of their hard earned money. i would feel pretty bad if i told someone to buy a bike that may fail and then it does fail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the input

I'm new to this forum thing and I appreciate your input. I'll try to do better. I have 12,000 miles on my bike, so maybe that is not enough to comment.

·
Administrator
13,689 Posts
I'll try to do better.
don't sweat it. there's no right or wrong way to post your comments so please feel free to share whatever thoughts you have on any subject. the more people that post their opinions the better. i think he was just trying to ask how many miles you had gone without needing a gear replacement.

also if you have a minute, we'd like to hear from you in the introductions forum so we can officially welcome you to the site!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts