Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 vstar 650. I just had to replace the rear drive unit which was 1150 and now the clutch is slipping. To fix that would be around 400. I bought the bike from what i now realize was shady. This bike is supposed to be very reliable and it has not been for me. I drained the synthetic oil and put in regular petroleum oil to help increase the friction. I'm thinking about just trading it in and buying a brand new so I don't have to worry about this. But then again, I just put in so much money. Basically, I'm worried that things are going to continue to break down. I'm new to bikes and I don't know what else could go wrong. Any opinions? trade and buy new? or just fix the clutch?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Good luck

Superashley,

There's not way I can answer that but, I can tell you normally a 650 V Star's are very reliable. I would fix it but, I don't know how the last owner treated it or took care of it. Odds are you will fix the problem and that will be it, but who knows.

You probably know but just in case. Many oils, specially synthetic oils have friction reducers. they can cause clutch slippage. I don't think 650's have the strongest clutch. There is a spring kit available. Might make the clutch lever harder to pull.

http://650ccnd.com/mods/clutch/springs.htm

Be sure there is a little free play in the clutch lever.

This is instructions for the 1100, should be same, I think.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ-04.htm#Clutch

Look around here.

http://650ccnd.com/
Dave

·
Registered
305 Posts
As Dave stated, the 650 is a very reliable bike. That said, some of the 02-04 models had an issue with the final drive. It's been known to fail on other years as well, but most failures occured on those 3 model years. I have heard a few instances where it happened a second time on the same bike, but quite rare.

It happened to me on my 04 at about 12,000 miles. I found a used unit and didn't have any more issues after that.

The clutch is on the weak side, and again like Dave said, the aftermarket spring has been a proven fix for this issue.

My advice? I'd say that since you already fixed the final drive, you should not see that issue again. (It's important to have the drive splines lubed!) The clutch is an easy remedy, and you should then have many miles of fun! Just my 2 cents. Do what you feel is right.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts

I have 30,000+ on a 650 and the clutch would slip, put a new clutch cable and that ended the slip. As for the drive a short check of the web will revile about 57 bikes that has had this happen to them. Bear in mind this is all that has reported- There may be many,many more. Now of thous reported a lot where shone to be the lack of maintenance at time of wheel change But not all. Some just gave out for no reason at all .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much. I'm going to order the spring kit, looks pretty simple to install too. Hopefully this works!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts