Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had oil in my cylinders for long storage, now I was wondering how to get the oil out?

I took the spark plugs out and place a paper towel over the holes. I then let the engine turn over to let the oil spit out. Is this the best method or not?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
if you think there is oil in the cylinder combustion chamber I would get a turkey baster and some plastic clear hose/tubing, and suck out as much as you can with the tubing

if the bike has been sitting for more than a few months I would expect the oil has already weeped down into the crankcase past the rings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you think there is oil in the cylinder combustion chamber I would get a turkey baster and some plastic clear hose/tubing, and suck out as much as you can with the tubing

if the bike has been sitting for more than a few months I would expect the oil has already weeped down into the crankcase past the rings.
It has only been a month, thought it would be longer bc of work. Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
you are going to need to check the oil level, it might be overfilled in the crankcase now depending on how much you put in and how much leaked past the rings

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you are going to need to check the oil level, it might be overfilled in the crankcase now depending on how much you put in and how much leaked past the rings
That was the first thing I did and it was good. I only put a table spoon in each side. Went back and used a clear tube like you mentioned to get the rest of the oil out. Everything looks good and ready to ride. Thank you for your time and knowledge. Much appreciated. 🤙

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Its gonna smoke like a fiend when you start it, same as after doing a wet (added oil) compression test :^O

1 - 6 of 6 Posts