Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some saddlebags with the bike but I don't like them, too small. Has anyone bought Saddlemen or Vicking bags and if so, what's your opinion of these makes?

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
I have these Viking Bags. Had them for several years. No major issues or concerns. I would buy again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have Viking bags and they're quite good. BUT, the hardware that Viking sells for installing them is..... well, let's just say they're crap. So, you might want to look into getting different support brackets from online and bolts from your local ACE or Home Depot, etc.

Originally I had used the Viking hardware that came with them and didn't experience any noticeable issues, but after reading some threads about other people's complaints with the hardware, decided to upgrade my setup. When removing the bags, one of my bolts had a definite bend to it. So I replaced the brackets and bolts and added some other stuff to increase strength of the arrangement.

My actual bags appear to be quite hardy materials and I have zero complaints about them. I do recommend them.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Viking bags and they're quite good. BUT, the hardware that Viking sells for installing them is..... well, let's just say they're crap. So, you might want to look into getting different support brackets from online and bolts from your local ACE or Home Depot, etc.

Originally I had used the Viking hardware that came with them and didn't experience any noticeable issues, but after reading some threads about other people's complaints with the hardware, decided to upgrade my setup. When removing the bags, one of my bolts had a definite bend to it. So I replaced the brackets and bolts and added some other stuff to increase strength of the arrangement.

My actual bags appear to be quite hardy materials and I have zero complaints about them. I do recommend them.
They look great, they follow the lines well. Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just remembered something else with Viking bags. Every so often they'll send out (to proven customers) e-mails asking if you'd like to have your bike featured on their website. If so, send them some pics. They even ask if you'd like to make a short video about your experience with the bags.

I sent them, over the course of a few years, probably half a dozen pics and sure enough, they made it onto their website. What I did not think about until I stumbled across it by accident was that they might also take your pictures and put them on the internet.

One day I went online and felt like looking at random pictures of my species bike. There were quite a few pictures from everywhere and WOW! THAT one is mine! I found 5 more when I kept on looking.

Generally, when I look at online pictures of my type bike there will still be from 3 to 6 pics that I recognize as my machine. I just looked again yesterday and 4 were still in there. If you don't mind that happening, assuming you send them any pics, then you'll be pleased to see your specimen become "famous" (sorta). If you don't want the pics to get online then don't send Viking any pics. I personally don't mind but all of the pics are on the old-side now with nothing updated to its current look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just remembered something else with Viking bags. Every so often they'll send out (to proven customers) e-mails asking if you'd like to have your bike featured on their website. If so, send them some pics. They even ask if you'd like to make a short video about your experience with the bags.

I sent them, over the course of a few years, probably half a dozen pics and sure enough, they made it onto their website. What I did not think about until I stumbled across it by accident was that they might also take your pictures and put them on the internet.

One day I went online and felt like looking at random pictures of my species bike. There were quite a few pictures from everywhere and WOW! THAT one is mine! I found 5 more when I kept on looking.

Generally, when I look at online pictures of my type bike there will still be from 3 to 6 pics that I recognize as my machine. I just looked again yesterday and 4 were still in there. If you don't mind that happening, assuming you send them any pics, then you'll be pleased to see your specimen become "famous" (sorta). If you don't want the pics to get online then don't send Viking any pics. I personally don't mind but all of the pics are on the old-side now with nothing updated to its current look.
Well I ended up ordering Saddlemen saddlebags. Can only get Viking bags in the US, and it costs a fortune to ship here. Saddlemen are very similar to Viking. Got the extra jumbo ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
If they are what you want, then we all hope you'll enjoy them!! I suppose, as a generic statement, the lesson learned from my above posting about pictures getting on the internet, might possibly extend to other manufacturers aside from Viking.

I've no personal experience with Saddlemen bags but they've been around for a long time and have a good selection, too. Once you've got them on how about showing us a few pics???

Incidentally, where is "NB"?

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is a good place to go to find darn near any bolt you'd ever need. Lots of other doo-dads, also. It does a decent job of explaining the concept of different strength bolts, too. The grading system is different for SAE and Metric bolts. Since our collective bikes all take Metric, its good info to have/know when someone is thinking about sourcing for new attachment bolts locally.

https://www.fastenersuperstore.com/?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Competitors&msclkid=ec6fbdfe02b91103533ee11389d5296e

Edited: Actually THIS is the one I wanted to paste, but the one above may be ok, I haven't really looked at it.
https://www.boltdepot.com/catalog.aspx?wt.srch=1&wt.mc_id=msnboltdepot&msclkid=8ceb046493b71bbc2f8e58891f6a638e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bolt Depot old&utm_term=bolt depot&utm_content=Bolt Depot

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If they are what you want, then we all hope you'll enjoy them!! I suppose, as a generic statement, the lesson learned from my above posting about pictures getting on the internet, might possibly extend to other manufacturers aside from Viking.

I've no personal experience with Saddlemen bags but they've been around for a long time and have a good selection, too. Once you've got them on how about showing us a few pics???

Incidentally, where is "NB"?
NB is New Brunswick, Canada. East coast.

Yea I will post pics for sure!

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
Looks good. How's the internal room? My Viking bags set out at the bottom a little also. I had brackets like the picture below. I bent the brackets so they were more vertical and the bags sat much straighter. Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks good. How's the internal room? My Viking bags set out at the bottom a little also. I had brackets like the picture below. I bent the brackets so they were more vertical and the bags sat much straighter. Hope that made sense.

Love the room, very spacious for a long trip.

You gave me a good idea, will have to try to bend them a bit tomorrow. Will keep you posted...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I've driven by that lobster countless times. I wanted to get a pic in front of it but they won't let you get any closer with a vehicle than you were. I guess that'll have to do.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have USSaddlebags co that were on the star when i bought it, To be honest it is a big part of the reason i bought it. I looked them up with the quick release mounts they are about $900. After having the star the rest of the bike is great. I love the Classic look.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts