Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Yamaha enthusiasts,
I have read a lot of threads about which new seat to buy but inevitably it comes down to personal preference. The big three seem to be Mustang, Corbin, and the Ultimate Seat. I am 6' 3" tall and over 300lbs. The stock seat on my v star stops being comfy after an hour of riding. I have sat on another v star with a Mustang seat, and although comfortable, it changes the ride position by seating the rider 1 and a half inches forward. So here is my question. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket seat for a man of my size that is comfortable without moving me closer to the gas tank?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,435 Posts
Option list is short for an aftermarket seat with stock seating position. That I'm aware of Ultimate and ED seats are the only ones. Both have had good reviews here. I'm 5'5" or so and weight less than half of you so my opinion might not count. I've had an Ultimate seat before and loved it. Your other option which can be a lot more cost effective and with good results is to take it to a local upholstery shop and have them redo the padding. Keep us informed on your decision.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I went with an E.D. seat.
Had an Ultimate on a previous bike & liked it, but it does require some maintenance

5"9'' 260

edseatsusa.com

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am 6' 5" and 280 and I have the Ultimate Mid on my stratoliner and I rode it 445 miles stopping only for gas and drinks. I didn't start getting tired butt till about 380 miles into the ride. Also this was only the second day on the new bike, so I still had to find my comfortable spot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your responses, especially from the bigger guys. When you don't fit in with the standard sizes, sometimes it's difficult to find what you are looking for. I'll let the forum know what seat I end up with once I've made my purchase.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I’ve had an Ultimate seat for 15 years, and am curious...what is the “required” maintenance?
When I bought it, I was told not to get it wet, or sit in the sun due to it being made of leather.
So if it was going to rain, or sit in the sun for an extended period, to use the seat cover.

Also, the leather needs to be conditioned occasionally.

I used it for1 season, when I sold the bike, I gave the buyer the option of purchasing the seat also, which he did. I also gave him the stock seat.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I haven't done this on my classic yet but the stock seat on my 1800 VTX was the same exact rock. My tail bone gets sore. What i did on that vtx was put a piece of sheep skin on it.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Adding to the conversation, I bought an Ultimate with a back rest (important for me) and it has been absolutely great. I did a cross country ride and back spending some long days in the saddle and no issues at all. I used to be 6', now I'm probably down an inch at 195 lbs.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Seat is my next project. I can take about 2 hours of riding and I have to stop and get the blood flowing thru my backside again.
My worst problem is I'm a tightwad and I'm having a hard time finding a used seat that is priced right.
Right there with ya! Rode to my sons house over the weekend. It is about an hour and a half due to the roads I take. Nothing wrong with the scenic route I say! Had to stop a couple times on the way home to stretch out the back. I was wondering if you got any other feedback on the company that refurbs the stock seat?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I called them and asked what they did to the seat to make it better. They only reshape the foam that is there and that's all. Don't really see how that will improve the seat. I could be wrong but not willing to try for that price.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another option...

I can personally recommend Mean City Cycles, and also will report that on Honda VTX Owners Forum (vtxoa.com) Mean City's work is rated by members as excellent in all aspects. I had read so many great reviews by forum members that I was finally convinced to give them a try.

You can save a ton because you send in your stock seat and they modify it according to the many options they offer, from memory foam to gel, to both with an array of cover options, stitching and studs or whatever you want. They can cut the seat/foam to set you lower or further back in the 'saddle'.

I've personally had two seats done by them and was pleased as I could be with the comfort and the results overall—not to mention the fast turn-around. I saved a ton of $$ over the cost of going with the standard choices listed already.

Here is a link:

Mean City Cycles :: Motorcycle seat modifications

·
Registered
346 Posts
I can personally recommend Mean City Cycles, and also will report that on Honda VTX Owners Forum (vtxoa.com) Mean City's work is rated by members as excellent in all aspects. I had read so many great reviews by forum members that I was finally convinced to give them a try.

You can save a ton because you send in your stock seat and they modify it according to the many options they offer, from memory foam to gel, to both with an array of cover options, stitching and studs or whatever you want. They can cut the seat/foam to set you lower or further back in the 'saddle'.

I've personally had two seats done by them and was pleased as I could be with the comfort and the results overall—not to mention the fast turn-around. I saved a ton of $$ over the cost of going with the standard choices listed already.

Here is a link:

Mean City Cycles :: Motorcycle seat modifications

UNBELIEVABLE

Thanks a million House O Pain

Your not going to believe this. Mean City Cycles is less than 10 miles from my house. I've drove by it at least 4 times in the last month and never even knew it was there.
I'm going to check them out and I'll report back here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This have driven me nus since I have owned my Vstar.

I am a big guy like you. Bought me a hemorrhoid set pad thing off amazon the other day and it works great. Has a cut out front and back for the man parts and cost about $20. Works great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I decided to go with the Ultimate Seat for my v star 1100 custom. Nothing against E.D. Seats it's just they make seats for the Classic & Silverado but not the Custom. When I placed the order on line, my height and weight were required to tailor a seat to my physical dimensions. The new seats arrived 10 days later. The fit and finish is quite good and I had the factory seats off and the new ones on in about a half an hour. The manufacturer claims you must ride the bike for 100 miles before you start to notice the seat conforming to the rider. They are correct, after riding in to work and back (110 miles), the seat began to feel noticeably more comfortable. I've put on another 100 miles today and I didn't get soar after an hour like I used to. Apparently the seat will feel even better after a couple of weeks of riding. This upgrade was money well spent. Thanks to you bigger guys for chiming in, your advicewas bang on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My vstar stock seat just kills me both on on the tail and on the more tender bits. Cant stand it for more that an hour.

Not spending $400 on a seat so bought one of those hemorrhoid pads with a hole in the middle of it. Its oval has a hole in the middle and cut outs for and aft. Fits perfect on the seat and cost me $17 on amazon. Love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts