Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about the airbox mod and the links all point to the defunct imageshack account. Does anyone have the pattern that is talked about or pics of the process to share. I've seen the photos from Bevo that was a close-up of the holes but I still can't tell where exactly the holes are put; top, bottom, left or right.

The same request for the exhaust mod.

·
Administrator
13,653 Posts
you can basically drill any pattern of holes you want into the plastic airbox. the idea is just to let more air in. you can get creative if you want. i don't think you can mess up unless you just completely hack the thing to pieces.

i don't know if there are any other exhaust mod photos, but if this is something you want to do, just shine a flashlight down there or stick a measuring tape so you have an idea of what you're cutting through.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I looked into this as well. I found this link http://vstar.brazilmission.net/ with this pic which actually looks pretty good.
I think I can go to the local hardware store, buy 3 stainless steel sink screens (may come in a 3 pack), drill slightly smaller holes and JB Weld the screens on:
V Star Air Cleaner.jpg

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
I looked into this as well. I found this link http://vstar.brazilmission.net/ with this pic which actually looks pretty good.
I think I can go to the local hardware store, buy 3 stainless steel sink screens (may come in a 3 pack), drill slightly smaller holes and JB Weld the screens on:
View attachment 44817
I did something similar to mine. I drilled 1 inch holes in the back/bottom where you couldn't really see them. If you search my threads, I have a thread with pictures. Someone else posted some pictures on that thread of 1 inch filter plugs to act as a pre-filter to keep bugs out. I'm on my phone or I would copy/paste it.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
RAK mod from cc&d

Check out the RAK mod on the CC&D web site (star forum )

It shows in detail how to do this without any screens.

I performed this mod on my 650 with great results.

Easy to do with a battery drill and some cutting of the plastic housing.
Not too difficult at all...

jake :D:cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check out the RAK mod on the CC&D web site (star forum )

It shows in detail how to do this without any screens.

I performed this mod on my 650 with great results.

Easy to do with a battery drill and some cutting of the plastic housing.
Not too difficult at all...

jake

From the looks the RAK Mod is only for the 650 as the filter on the 1100 is bigger but I'm sure it pretty close to the same thing to do .

·
Administrator
13,653 Posts
Have any of you found this helped? what are the benefits?
there are no performance benefits with drilling the exhaust, only improves the sound. many have stated some performance improvement with the airbox mod, some quicker acceleration i suppose. but it will make your bike even more lean than it is and these models do already have a lean fuel mixture from the factory.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
It is nearly identical. I rejetted at the same time I did the mod...
But so far it works fine. I'm sure the 1100 is in the same wheel house.

Basically the same bike but 1100 vs 650...

·
Registered
176 Posts
So if I do this simple air box drilling, I will need to rejet? I have Jardine slip-on mufflers with the baffles installed. All else is stock. I was thinking of doing the drilling to allow the bike to breath a little better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts