Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in Technical modifications, thought it might get more attention here.

Looking at an after market air filter for my Bolt.
Most look much the same superficially but the Vance Hines has a very different venturi than the Cobra.
The Cobra has what I would instinctively go for. A well flared intake flush with the back plate of the filter assembly giving what one would think is the best air flow.
The Vance hines units venturi protrudes well into the interior of the air cleaner leaving a small space between the outer surface of the air filter and the venturi intake.
I know that a longer velocity stack is generally better for low end power not sure if this is the thinking behind the VH design. Perhaps higher air velocity at lower RPM?
Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check out the forums at yamahastarbolt.com/forum

There's been a ton of talk over there about this. Performance wise, Ivan who does reflashes of the ECU as well as some other people have noticed no performance gains from one aftermarket intake to another. It's really just deciding which looks better to you visually. They're all better than the stock airbox, and will all provide more air than your bolt could need. Definitely look into the reflash if you haven't yet. Thats really the only way to get the performance upgrades.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out the forums at yamahastarbolt.com/forum

There's been a ton of talk over there about this. Performance wise, Ivan who does reflashes of the ECU as well as some other people have noticed no performance gains from one aftermarket intake to another. It's really just deciding which looks better to you visually. They're all better than the stock airbox, and will all provide more air than your bolt could need. Definitely look into the reflash if you haven't yet. Thats really the only way to get the performance upgrades.
Thanks dewdewyah, that's really helpful advise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I decided on the V&H with solid chrome skullcap.
If you haven't already ordered, I'd highly recommend checking out https://sscustomcycle.com/ as well. They have a whole bunch of custom intakes for the bolt. Some really cool looking ones. I'm saving up right now to get his python Slip-on and the Billy-bob intake.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you haven't already ordered, I'd highly recommend checking out https://sscustomcycle.com/ as well. They have a whole bunch of custom intakes for the bolt. Some really cool looking ones. I'm saving up right now to get his python Slip-on and the Billy-bob intake.
Thanks for the tip. I have ordered the V&H but I had a look at SS custom, they do have some cool looking stuff. The Billy Bob reminds me of the old ramflow aircleaners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts