Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Interesting clip.
There will always be a noticeable difference between the extremes of low end and high end for anything, but for most folks doing the normal driving thing, any air filter will work.
The internet has turned folks to looking for that tiny, incremental change that will bring perceived perfection in some things. Reminds me of Nigel Tufnel in 'This is Spinal Tap'......."But this goes to eleven".

I do plan to follow these videos and check out what comes from their other tests. The drill bit 'episode' was pretty decent. Thanks for sharing this.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting clip.
There will always be a noticeable difference between the extremes of low end and high end for anything, but for most folks doing the normal driving thing, any air filter will work.
The internet has turned folks to looking for that tiny, incremental change that will bring perceived perfection in some things. Reminds me of Nigel Tufnel in 'This is Spinal Tap'......."But this goes to eleven".

I do plan to follow these videos and check out what comes from their other tests. The drill bit 'episode' was pretty decent. Thanks for sharing this.
While I agree with you I have a special dislike for K&N. A very expensive filter that may give a very small performance boost but will always give you a huge contamination gain. It is like charging people to shorten their engine life, not to mention the clogged sensors from over oiling.

·
Registered
148 Posts
While I agree with you I have a special dislike for K&N. A very expensive filter that may give a very small performance boost but will always give you a huge contamination gain. It is like charging people to shorten their engine life, not to mention the clogged sensors from over oiling.
Thought about that when I added a K&N to my Vstar. I opened up the exhaust and there was not a paper filter I tried that provided the airflow required to work in harmony with the open exhaust and fuel processor.
I can totally understand your dislike...there probably is a more significant gap in filtering between a paper filter and K&N, much more than between the best / worst paper filters. But, unless I'm consistently running in dust, on dirt roads, etc, for me the risk is minimal. I'll keel over before anything the K&N misses ruins the engine. Could happen, I'm old enough...;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts