Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how often do you inspect/clean/replace your air filter?

i have what i suspect is a K&N filter on my LA Choppers XXX Big Air kit. at some point i thought it was a good idea to clean it on an annual basis, but in reality, i've really only doing so every 2 years. i found another 950 owner with the same air intake who cleans his twice a year and says there is a noticeable increase in efficiency and performance afterwards and claims to put on no more mileage than i do (average 10K miles annually). not sure what climate he rides in. so that got me thinking that i should really clean mine more often than every 2 years.

but then i looked up the cleaning instructions on K&N's website and they say you should inspect every 25K miles, be able to go anywhere from 50k-100k miles before cleaning, only need to if you can no longer see the wire screen that encases the air filter element. while i don't know if it's possible to over clean the filter as long as you're not damaging anything, are there really any significant benefits to cleaning it much more regularly than the manufacturer's suggestions?

fine, according to K&N:

dirty:

https://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,891 Posts
I keep all my vehicles for a long time and fiquired out it made economic sense to install a washable air filter on every vehicle I own. For years K&N were the only real ones in the business. I've logged 10s of thousands miles with different vehicles. I usually use low air pressure to knock off the dirt every oil change. I know directions say don't use compressed air, but using common sense on air pressure I've never had issues. I will normally use the cleaning solution and reoil about once a year. Don't think you can wash them too often but be careful not to over oil.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I check my air filters at every oil change and knock off the big stuff like insects and plant material. I'll wash and re-oil my K&Ns every other oil change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts