Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to possibly get a new seat cover. Have seen the reviews on line about the air seats and the gel seat pads. Just wondering if anybody has an opinion about these? Currently I have a stock seat on my 950 and my 60 year old bones are good for about an hour then I just got to find a place to stretch out a little...TMI?? Looking at new seats also if you have an opinion on those please share as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I spent the money a couple years ago and got an Airhawk seat because of all the amazing reviews. For me it was exceptionally uncomfortable. I tried with lots of different air pressures (the recommended is around 90%+ deflated) and didn't like any of them.

Picture sitting on an air mattress at the beach that has a small amount of air in it. When you sit down on it your butt doesn't touch the ground rather it stays slightly above. That's about the sensation of sitting on the Airhawk. Some people love it and it gives them back relief. I found it made my lowerback / tailbone sore and was actually more uncomfortable then the stock seat.

*Note that this wasn't on a Vstar and the seat was not the same shape as the Vstars which should be factored in.

What I ended up doing was buying a memory foam matress topper from Costco and I used it to make custom fit seat pads for a bunch of stuff including that bike. I find for my back it's really comfortable to have one under your butt and one at your back to relax into.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spent the money a couple years ago and got an Airhawk seat because of all the amazing reviews. For me it was exceptionally uncomfortable. I tried with lots of different air pressures (the recommended is around 90%+ deflated) and didn't like any of them.

Picture sitting on an air mattress at the beach that has a small amount of air in it. When you sit down on it your butt doesn't touch the ground rather it stays slightly above. That's about the sensation of sitting on the Airhawk. Some people love it and it gives them back relief. I found it made my lowerback / tailbone sore and was actually more uncomfortable then the stock seat.

*Note that this wasn't on a Vstar and the seat was not the same shape as the Vstars which should be factored in.

What I ended up doing was buying a memory foam matress topper from Costco and I used it to make custom fit seat pads for a bunch of stuff including that bike. I find for my back it's really comfortable to have one under your butt and one at your back to relax into.
Thank You for the feedback! What I probably should do would be to buy a new seat and get it over with! My wife does not like to ride with me so I was thinking this route would be better. I am a life long cheapskate so it is hard for me to part with the kind of money they are getting for new seats.:laugh:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had a Mustang seat waiting in the garage when I got home with my 950T because of the one I had (for 60K miles) on the previous Honda. Lots of different opinions on seats, but I simply love the Mustang touring seat I have. I run out of gas before I need a break. And I'm 72 with a metal hip.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 2lanerider!. More than likely that is the route I am going to go. @DukeHam made great points with the post above about the air seat. Happy riding!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd imagine a gel seat would get rather warm sitting in the sun, while you were not riding.
I bought a seat from here. E.D. Motorcycle Seats, USA

·
Registered
3 Posts
In 2004 I bought my wife a new Road Star Silverado 1700. Just doing the 12 mile test drive I told the salesperson that just because of the seat, i would not buy that bike. Yes, he panicked! The dealership through in an AirHawk seat, which much to my dismay, turned out to be a total P.O.S. (no, that does not stand for Point of Sale). We also tried a gel seat and found it wasn't much better. She also tried a sheepskin cover which of all things attempted helped the most. Until..... I dropped my fat ass on an Ultimate Seat! My butt was in heaven! Just sitting on a bike with that seat was enough to tell me that was the seat for my wife's bike.
Since then I have put an Ultimate Seat on (my then) VTX 1800. In 2014 I bought an Indian for my wife and yes, you guessed it, she has the Ultimate Seat on that as well. For the Silverado, after putting on the Yamaha Stage II kit and Metzler tires, I loved it so much I sold my Harley to keep it. We had a couple of years where we didn't have much of an opportunity to get out riding so it only has 60K miles on it. but runs and drives as well as the day we got it 15 years ago.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I hate my V Star 1100 Silverado seat. I bought a Air Hawk and it's better but still not great. A friend told me one problem is the way my back "rolls" in the sitting position. He said that puts unneeded pressure on my back and tailbone. He said a back rest would help a lot but didn't guarantee it would fix everything. He bought a Biker's Friend and said it did wonders for him. These are interesting but I haven't forked out the dough for one yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have similar lower back / tailbone issues. For me I have to sit in a seat that is shaped like an L which is why I got the Mustang. If I sit on anything flatish with no back support (like the stock seat) I have back problems within 30 min and don't want to ride anymore.

It not just about the back support though, more importantly is the 75 deg cutout at the bottom of the seat giving it that "L" shape, that's what offers the most relief on the lower back and tailbone.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have to agree with mushroomking on the Ultimate seat. I've tried both air hawk and the gel propad and neither really made a difference. I rode my brother's Honda that had a mustang seat and it was better, but when I got my ultimate seat, it truly is heaven on the ol' bum. I'm looking at getting a driver backrest this year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would go for an after market seat..have owned both gel and airhawk and not very impressed with either....I have had Mustang, Corbin and Ultimate seats too...I favor the Mustang and the Corbin...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Currently I have a stock seat on my 950 and my 60 year old bones are good for about an hour then I just got to find a place to stretch out a little.
66 yr old butt, 9 year old 950, stock seat, same problem. I'm on my second year with this skwoosh gel seat pad. Really like it. It extends my ride time between butt stops to the point where I only stop for gas or fun these days. It was a bit pricey at the Hardley Abelson shop where I found it, but I have not regretted it a bit. It doesn't eliminate sore butt, but it helps, is an easy fix, and is cheaper than a seat. Made in Johnstown, NY, US of A. I don't see any model or size, probably one size fits all.

Also it is cooler, which in TX is a big deal especially if you've been parked in the sun for a few minutes.

Single strap fits around the seat, works fine, easy on, easy off.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts