Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live about 4 mile from the nearest gas staion to fill my tires before a trip. How long should I wiat at the station before I can fill them to the proper pressure? The first 2 milesare supposedly ok but what then.
Idea?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Check the pressure before you leave home (cold), lets say you have 32 psi and you want 34 psi, now lets say when you go 4 miles to the air pump and your pressure is at 33 psi, add 2 psi and bring it up to 35 psi. On the ohter hand after you drive 4 miles and the tire pressure is 10 psi, you have a leak to fix :D:D

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I live about 4 mile from the nearest gas staion to fill my tires before a trip. How long should I wiat at the station before I can fill them to the proper pressure? The first 2 milesare supposedly ok but what then.
Idea?

Small compressors (both 12vdc and 120/240vac) are very inexpensive and a good investment to have circa de la casa;):)

Check online; that way you might not have to peso much. :D:D:D

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Slime-40020-Air-Compressor/p7629.html

Being able to service your own tires can be a blessing. I used to carry a 12v compressor with me on my Goldwing. Now I just carry a small portable bicycle pump and a tire repair kit.

Buena suerte

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I would say "+1 to stratowart's suggestion (before the smarta** kicked in) :D

I remember seeing a pic of your bike and i don't believe you have an accessory power jack, so... i would guess a 12V pump wont do you much good.

If you invest in a bicycle style pump i recommend a 'foot' pump. They are a little more compact.

My 2 cents :D

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I remember seeing a pic of your bike and i don't believe you have an accessory power jack, so... i would guess a 12V pump wont do you much good.
I've found the nifty inclusion of alligator clips on the compressor leads fit nicely on battery terminals:confused:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
:DBeat me to it, sort of thought common sense would have figgered in:cool: Did someone think you may be a smartass:eek: shame, shame;)
(whoops , back to the question: what Wart said)
DOH! ! !

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I don't think anybody is overthinking this, everybody I know will always put in 1 or 2 psi over the published recommended psi. The best thing one can do is use the same pressue gage to be consistant. I'd also bet that I wouldn't see a measurable difference after only 4 miles.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
first of all, can anyone be that accurate with the gauges at the gas station? i think if you just air up your tires to 1psi above recommendations you'll be golden. don't overthink this.
Oh! That's just great bevo :mad: Throw common sense into the mix and confuse us more :eek:

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I'd also bet that I wouldn't see a measurable difference after only 4 miles.
Well. Maybe. :confused:

But you fail to take into account the d/a (density altitude) variables and whether the weather changes in the 4 miles and whether the rider stops for a meal between home and the filling station, and did he/she ride through any puddles or newly applied asphalt.;)

No gentlemen, it doesn't pay to make snap and blanket judgements on a matter of this gravity. Ply the road carefully and tread lightly. Every facet of the problem should be carefully evaluated before making an unbiased (or un-radial'd) decision. And then......

SERVICE THE DAMN TIRE AT HOME!!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Well. I'm sure I am not the only person that worries about the venturi effect causing the temperature of the compressed air to drop to temperatures well below freezing. And the thought of that sudden blast of cold air hitting the inside of my alloy rim scares me to death. I am so scared by this that I now also carry ultrasonic shear wave test equipment to inspect for sub surface microcracks in the microstructure of my rim each time I add air.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Well. I'm sure I am not the only person that worries about the venturi effect causing the temperature of the compressed air to drop to temperatures well below freezing. And the thought of that sudden blast of cold air hitting the inside of my alloy rim scares me to death. I am so scared by this that I now also carry ultrasonic shear wave test equipment to inspect for sub surface microcracks in the microstructure of my rim each time I add air.
They have medications for that:eek:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I will go and buy me a pump. Then I can use i to siphon off some of the excess bll that has been laid at this doorstep. Thanks for all the good stuff and boy ain´t it fun to be part of a family.

·
Registered
124 Posts
lol

Almost a year since last post to this thread, had to laugh. Looking for a DC air pump, I just fixed a flat at work today. I will be more prepared next time. A new twist that was not thought of...I bought a '09 ninety days ago brand new. Coming up with my own formula to take in effect for the age of the tire being older but having lots of thread. Slight cracks with dry rotting of three years sitting in the back room. Get with my personal blog for the formula as it won't fit with the 1000 character limit this site provides for each post.

Thanks for the post la madrugada......and thanks for the laughs everyone else. This post was before my time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts